A Visiting Geoscientist Visit
The visit may take place over one or more days. Schedules should be arranged by the university and the speaker working together. Suggested features are:
- An introductory meeting with the head of the geology department, dean of the college, and other administrators.
- A presentation on geoscience careers to a combined group of students and professors, followed by a question and answer session--colleges and universities are encouraged to open this presentation to other departments and anyone from the community who might be interested
- A technical talk or short course, if desired.
- An open meeting with small groups and faculty members and/or tour of classroom laboratory, and library facilities
- An interview with local and campus news media
- A final luncheon or wrap-up session with faculty members
You may wish to consider asking the VG to present the career talk a second time during the visit, either in a first or second year regularly scheduled geology class. This may help lower division students decide about a career in geoscience, while they are in the formative period of selecting a major. The informal discussion between the VG and students has received the highest rating in program evaluations.
We suggest that, if possible, the VG be provided a private office in the geology department so students may drop by for discussions.
Arranging for a Visiting Geoscientist
- The VG speakers are listed alphabetically and by the region of their specific travel ranges. Speakers available across the continental US are listed under Nationwide.
- A topical listing which identifies areas of special interest for each speaker is provided in .PDF format for additional assistance in selecting a speaker. Please consider travel restrictions for each speaker when making a selection.
- A sampling of titles which some VGs have provided is also available.
- INTERNATIONAL speakers are becoming available in a number of countries.
For your convenience in requesting a speaker, an online request form is provided or you may print out the form and fax it to Mike Mlynek, AAPG Student Affairs Coordinator. Please provide alternate choices for your desired speaker, in case of availability conflicts.
When the request is received, AAPG will contact the specified VG to determine availability. Response to the university and confirmation of dates will be made by AAPG or directly by the geoscientist. Final details such as date, time, duration of visit and specific subject areas of discussion will be arranged directly between the VG and the university professor. After the date of the visit is confirmed, evaluation forms will be furnished to the university and to the speaker so that both can evaluate the program immediately following the visit.
Under no circumstances is this program designed to provide free speakers for unstructured visits or guest lectures. Universities are asked to provide a proposed schedule along the guidelines outlined here before confirmation of the visit is made. The university's request and all arrangements for the visit should be made by a professor on the university faculty.