Since its founding in 1917, the American Association of Petroleum Geologists has been a pillar of the worldwide scientific community. The original purpose of AAPG, to foster scientific research, to advance the science of geology, to promote technology, and to inspire high professional conduct, still guides the Association today.
AAPG provides publications, conferences, and educational opportunities to geoscientists and disseminates the most current geological information available to the general public.
As the world's premier professional association for explorationists, AAPG is about the science of petroleum geology.
It's also about the people.
AAPG's membership is made up of more than 40,000 members in 129 countries in the upstream energy industry who collaborate – and compete – to provide the means for humankind to thrive.
AAPG provides the network of communications that allow those professionals to succeed.
We invite you to see who we are, what we are about and to contact us for membership information or details about the many services we provide.
Who We Are
AAPG, an international geological organization, has offices in London, Dubai, Singapore, Bogotá, Lagos and Washington, DC. Included among its membership are geologists, geophysicists, CEOs, managers, consultants, students, and professors.
- 45% of AAPG membership holds a title of manager or above.
- AAPG membership includes over 8,000 students.
- 39% of AAPG membership lives outside the United States.
- For 43% of the membership, exploration is the primary concentration. Another 18% have their primary concentration in development/reservoir management.
- AAPG has nearly 100 Affiliated Societies spanning the globe. Also, there are eleven national or international organizations which hold Associated status with AAPG.