Discovery Thinking Forum, ACE 2013 Pittsburgh
Horn River Devonian Shale Gas Discoveries in NE British
Columbia. Discovery Thinking talk given by Robert Spitzer at AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May 20, 2013.
Ladyfern Gas Field
- Conventional 600 B
CF Gas Discovery in 2000
- On platform in Upper Devonian Slave Point Formation (carbonate)
Horn River Gas Field
- Unconventional (≈60 T
CF) Gas Discovery in 2004
- In Devonian-Carboniferous Besa River Formation
Liard Gas Field
- Unconventional (≈ 100 T
CF) Gas Discovery in 2009
- In Devonian-Carboniferous Besa River Formation (but younger section than at Horn River)
Summary of Learnings/Validation
- Early is better.
- Resilience –
significant failure can lead to more significant success.
- Move quickly.
- Understanding your competition –
the herd mentality.
- Social license is critical! Listening, seeking creative solutions and acting early are essential.
- Solid exploration proposals combined with company commitment are optimal.
- It all comes down to excellent people... always!