Local YP Chapters are our primary means of reaching recent graduates and emerging geologists. They serve several important functions including:
Recruiting members to AAPG
- Interfacing with local geological and geophysical societies
- Organizing local networking events, field trips and charity projects
- Developing relationships with local AAPG Student Chapters
Are you interested in starting a YP Chapter in your area? Here are few recommendations:
- CONTACT YOUR REGION/SECTION YP LEAD. These individuals are members of the YP Committee and are listed under that section of our webpage. They can help guide you through the process.
- ESTABLISH A COMMITTEE OF LOCAL VOLUNTEERS. Consider roles like president, secretary, treasurer and education liaison. Make sure your volunteers can commit to at least half a year’s worth of service and will assist in identifying their successor.
- PLAN YOUR EVENTS. These can include socials, seminars, career talks, field trips and fundraisers.
- MAKE A YEARLY BUDGET AND CONSIDER SPONSORSHIPS. Your Region/Section YP Lead may be able to assist with funding, but you may need to explore alternative sources.
- EXECUTE! Advertise your events on the YP Calendar and via social media. Stay in regular contact with your YP Lead and AAPG Region/Section Leadership by providing quarterly reports.
- NEED HELP? ASK! The YP Committee is here to help you succeed. Contact us for assistance.