2022 - Year in Review
At the All-Member meeting on December 14, Rebecca Caldwell presented a review of all the AAPGWN events held in 2022. Two roundtable discussions were held in March in celebration of Women's History Month. In April and May, three separate technical discussions were presented. Student-focused programming was held in July, along with a discussion on the AAPG Awards and Nominations process. The ever-popular "Geology of..." series was focused on the Geology of Coffee in August.
AAPGWN was also active at both ICE and IMAGE conferences in April and August, respectively. There was even a collaboration with AWG LoneStar Chapter and the AAPG Distinguished Lecture series in 2022.
The year finished off with two in-person holiday happy hour events, one in Houston and the other in Denver.
January 31 is the deadline for AAPG Award Nominations. Check out our July webinar to learn more about the nomination process watch AAPG Awards and Nominations: The Path to Success - YouTube.
CCUS 2023 will be held in April, in Houston. Lily Barkau is leading the AAPGWN effort for this event, so please let us know if you will be attending and want to help out.
Planning for 2023 IMAGE events, in collaboration with SEG WN, AWG, and AAPG YP, is already underway. This year's IMAGE Coordinator is Ellen Wersan. Events to be planned include:
- Booth on Exhibit Floor
- Panel Discussion
URTeC is scheduled for June 13-15, 2023 in Denver, CO, where an in-person networking event is being planned. Please contact if you are interested in helping with planning for any of these events.
2023 AAPGWN Leadership
- Nicole Wagoner – Past Chair
- Ali Sloan – Co-chair 2021-23
- Katerina Yared – Co-chair 2022-24
- Priscila Amaral – Secretary
- Elshalom Chioma Omokpariola – Treasurer Liaison
- Andrea Lopez-Vega – Mentoring Program
- Rebecaa Caldwell, Nicole Gonzales – Technical Events
- Michelle Pittenger – Quarterly Newsletter
- Katie Tamulonis, Edith Allison – Awards/Nominations
- Chioma Onwulmelu, Elizabeth Da Silva – Student Initiative
- Stephanie Nwoko – WN ICE Chair
- Ellen Wersan – 2023 IMAGE Chair
Dates to Remember
- Q1 All-Member Meeting - March 22, 2023
- CCUS 2023 - April 25-27, 2023
- URTeC - June 13-15, 2023
- Q2 All-Member Meeting - June 21, 2023
- IMAGE - starts August 27, 2023
- Q3 All-Member Meeting - September 20, 2023
- Q4 All-Member Meeting - December 13, 2023
Other Upcoming Events
- Short-short courses
- Technical webinars
- Roundtable discussions
- "Geology of..." events (rock & roll, whiskey, pigments/paint, more wine and beer)
- Student engagement
- Networking events
- Safety at work and mental health planning.
MENTORING PROGRAM 2021 - 2022 had 86 mentoring connections and currently there are 46 ongoing connections.
AAPGWN SECTION REPRESENTATIVES
- Gulf Coast Caroline Wachtman, Oxy
- Eastern Section Kristin Carter, Pennsylvania Geological Survey
- Mid-Continent Jessica Giles-Boardman, Devon
- Pacific – Open position
- Rocky Mountain Lily Barkau WY Dept of Environmental Quality
- Southwest Heather Anderson Independent Geologist/Consultant
AAPGWN Region Representatives
- Asia Pacific - Ishtar Barranco (Chevron AUS)
- Canada - Maren Blair (Modern West Advisor)
- Europe - Laura Buhrig (University of Leeds)
- Africa - Elshalom Chioma Omokpariola (Nnamdi Azikiwe University)
- Latin America - Myra Vargas (Shell Colombia)
- Middle East - Naba Al Hamad
To learn more about the representative duties or if you are interested in filling the open position for Pacific Section Representative, please contact .