There are approximately 1,000 oil and gas fields in the world that have been classified as "giant," containing more than 500 million barrels of recoverable oil and /or 3 trillion cubic feet of gas. Giant Oil and Gas Fields is an online course that enables participants to study the structure, stratigraphy, and production history of the fields and an analysis of effective exploration, production, and enhanced oil recovery methods.
- Giant petroleum fields
- Tectonic settings of giant fields
- Giant Field Trends
- Deepwater Discoveries
- Stratigraphic Controlled Giant Fields
- Salt Domes
- Deltaic Reservoirs
- Carbonate Reservoirs
- Deep Marine Clastics Reservoirs
- Basin Modeling
- Unconventional resources
- fractured reservoirs
- hydraulic fracturing
- CO2 enhanced oil recovery
- reservoir characterization and 3D seismic
- seismic imaging and reservoir / stratigraphic definition
- offshore seismic data acquisition techniques
With direct contact with your professor, who will answer questions and review your work via e-mail, you will have a chance to learn about giant oil fields in a personalized setting. You may also have an opportunity to interact with other professionals in the field who will be available for your questions. A discussion board will be available for interaction with peers.
- Unit 1 (Week 1): Definition of Giant Oil and Gas Fields
- Unit 2 (Week 2): The First Giant Oil and Gas Fields
- Unit 3 (Week 3): Expanding Onshore and Offshore
- Unit 4 (Week 4): New Technologies, New Giants
This course is designed to be equivalent to a 3 credit-hour graduate-level seminar. It is a 4-week online course which consists of 4 one-week units that involve readings, multimedia, guiding questions, and assignments for you to do and to email to your instructor. You will receive feedback from your instructor, and upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate.
Required Work: For each unit, one research project and a short paper that responds to guiding questions, for a total of four brief research projects and four papers.
Core Text Suggestions
Giant Fields: Search and Discovery Assets