Unfolding by Holistic Thinking, Giant and Significant Oil Discoveries in a Mature Area; Discovery of Edvard Grieg, Johan Sverdrup and Luno II in the Norwegian North Sea. Discovery Thinking talk given by Hans Rønnevik at AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition in Houston, Texas, April 7, 2014.
Effect of Lundin Activities
- Revitalized exploration on Norwegian Continental Shelf
- Proven 2.5-3 billion bbls in resources
- Proven 500 million bbls in reserves
- 140K bbls/day from Alvheim/Volund
- 90K bbls/day from Edvard Grieg
- 380K+ bbls/day from Johan Sverdrup (Phase1)
- Created substantial activity on land
The oils in Edvard Grieg and Johan Sverdrup fields are related to migration from Draupne source the last 1.5 mill years
- Undersaturated oils
- "Residual" fresh oil down to 1960 m related to glacial rebound
Johan Sverdrup: Volgian sand with extremely high quality 1.9-2.9 billion bbls oil recoverable after the delineation by end 2013
- Discovery (16/4-6) in 2013:
- Resource estimate after 1. well:
- 25-120 million bbls; saturated oil, derived from Heather Formation
- 280 m homogenous Upper Triassic/Jurassic sand sequence
- Porosity17 %
- Oil column 45 m; OWC 1950 m msl
- Production test 2000 bbls/day.
- Reservoir pressure 5 bar below hydrostatic.