AAPG "Decision Based Integrated Modeling” GTW took place from 30 October - 1 November 2017 at the Al Bandar Hotel, Shangri La Resort, Muscat, Oman.
Unlike many workshops which focus on new technologies for doing “this” or “that”, this workshop focused on “doing the right thing” for the “right reasons”. 75 industry professionals from 4 countries and 11 companies attended the workshop. The 24 oral and 12 poster presentations which formed the technical program covered the following topics:
- What is DBM and Why do We Need to Do It?
- DBM Process Planning Event (I) – How to Conduct them?
- DBM Process Planning Event (II) – Technical Workflows
- DBM Implementation
Highlights of the workshop included 6 keynote presentations:
- “From Real-Time Model Update to Simulation Ready Predicative Models” by Aus Al Tawil, Saudi Aramco
- “Decision Driven Integrated Reservoir Modelling: Its Role in Delivering Robust Technical Solutions to Ensure Viable Projects” by John Brint, Shell
- “Finding the Question is Often More Important than Finding the Answer” by David Spain, BP
- “Importance of Decision Based Planning on the integration subsurface with surface in Field Development” by Inaki Llaguno, PDO
- “Decision Planning to Focus Workscope” by Mark Robinson, PDO
- "Constructing Models for Understanding or With Understanding?” by Maria Boya Ferrero, PDO
All of the attendees also benefitted from informative breakout and panel discussions held after the technical sessions.
An optional pre-workshop field trip to Northern Huqf took place on 27 & 28 October 2017. This two-day expedition focused on aspects of sediment body geomentry, facies and linked reservoir properties as well as field scale barriers and baffles. The field trip was led by Alberto Miotto and David Aslop from PDO.
We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank PDO and Saudi Aramco as the Platinum Sponsors of this event.