Recipients of 2020 AAPG Student Chapter Awards, encompassing recognition for student and volunteer achievements around the entire world, have been announced by AAPG.
In a year that has seen its share of hardship, it makes it all the more special to present the awards to these deserving students, student chapters and volunteers who have risen to meet – and overcome – the challenges facing them.
This year’s winners for Outstanding Student Chapter Awards are:
- Outstanding Domestic Student Chapter, with $2,000 prize – University of Texas at Austin, Gulf Coast Section.
- Outstanding International Student Chapter, with $2,000 prize – Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Europe Region.
- Outstanding New Student Chapter, with $750 prize – Federal University of Santa Catarina, Latin America and Caribbean Region.
- Outstanding Small Student Chapter, with $750 prize – Federal University of Sergipe, Latin America and Caribbean Region.
The winners of the Student Chapter YouTube™ Video Contest are:
- First Place, with $1,500 prize – University of Texas at Dallas, Southwest Section.
- Second Place, with $700 prize – Gadjah Mada University, Asia Pacific Region.
- Third Place, with $300 prize – University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Asia Pacific Region.
More videos were submitted to this year’s Student Chapter YouTube™ Video Contest than in any previous year. In recognition for their efforts in unprecedented times, the committee would like to recognize the following student chapters:
- Suez University, Africa Region
- University of Ibadan, Africa Region
- University of Port Harcourt, Africa Region
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Asia Pacific Region
- Trisakti University, Asia Pacific Region
- Universitas Diponegoro (Diponegoro University), Asia Pacific Region
- Universitas Padjadjaran, Asia Pacific Region
- University of Brawijaya, Asia Pacific Region
- University of Pembangunan Nasional “Veteran” Yogyakarta, Asia Pacific Region
- Sable Petroleum Club, University of Dalhousie, Canada Region
- Industrial University of Tyumen, Europe Region
- Esculea Superior Politecnica del Litoral, Latin America and Caribbean Region
- University of Campinas, Latin America and Caribbean Region
- San Andres Major University, Latin America and Caribbean Region
- Simón Bolívar University, Latin America and Caribbean Region
- Matrouh University – Faculty of Petroleum and Mining Sciences, Middle East Region
The prestigious James A. Hartman Service to Students Award for 2020 goes to Imperial Barrel Award co-chair Afton Van Zandt in recognition of her dedication and support to students.
Our special thanks and appreciation to Saudi Aramco for sponsoring the AAPG Student Chapter awards and to Shell for sponsoring the Student Chapter YouTube™ awards.
Plans are under way for a virtual global Student Chapter Awards ceremony to formally recognize the winners, to be held in July.
For more information please contact: Programs Coordinator Heather Hodges at .