The conference will address the geology of the area from the southern onshore of N America to the northern onshore of S America, including the Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas Platform, Yucatán, Caribbean (Colombia, Venezuela), Grenada and Tobago basins and adjacent Atlantic. Integration will improve understanding and promote investigation of lesser-explored/debated areas, such as the Caribbean. Recent seismic and drilling discoveries from other offshore frontiers will help assessment of their hydrocarbon potential.
Administration for this conference is being handled in Spain by the Asociación Congresos Geologícos Sigüenza (ACGS).
This is a past event. Registration is closed.
Recent industry discoveries/activity in the Middle Americas.
Intense exploration is underway in the Mexican, SW Gulf of Mexico, extending to eastern Yucatán. The TGS multiclient 2D Gigante survey in the Gulf is the largest in the world. Together with coring and geochemical analysis it will allow detailed evaluation of the whole Campeche basin, where Mexico plans to drill its first pre-salt well, YAXXTAAB-1.
- BHP has just signed a contract to drill in the Gulf and the Caribbean. The company holds large licenses offshore Trinidad & Tobago and Barbados and recently drilled the first Caribbean deepwater well – LeClerc–1, discovering gas (3-5 Tcf +deep oil shows – a new deepwater oil fairway?). Two more deepwater wells are planned.
- SE of Trinidad BP has begun production from the Juniper gas field, is to develop the Angelin gas field and intends to drill five wells.
- Anadarko/Ecopetrol discovered new play Kronos (1 Tcf+), Gorgon gas fields, offshore Colombia.
- Ecopetrol/Petrobras/Repsol/Statoil discovered gas with Orca-1, offshore Colombia.
- ENI drilled Amoca-3 in Mexico’s Campeche Bay, confirming reserves of 1 billion bbls oil.
- ExxonMobil/Hess have made major (3.2 billion bbls) oil discoveries at Liza, Payara, Snoek, Liza Deep, Turbot (sandstones) and Ranger (new, carbonate play) offshore Guyana
- ExxonMobil/Hess/Statoil have licensed adjacent acreage offshore Suriname. The Guyana-Suriname Basin is a new, world class oil region.
- PDVSA/Repsol/Eni discovered gas at La Perla (16 TCF in new Palaeogene carbonate play, offshore NW Venezuela.
- Premier/Talos/Sierra discovered 1.4 – 2 billions bbls in the Zama-1 well, in a previously unexplored shallow area offshore Mexico.
- Repsol/BP discovered 2 Tcf gas in Savannah and Macadamia wells SE of Trinidad, the largest discovery in the last 10 years.
- Repsol concluded a seismic survey in Guyana.
- Shell is to develop Venezuela’s offshore Dragon gas field (part of the 15 Tcf, Rio Caribe, Mejillones, Patao, Mejillones, Dragon complex), linking it to Trinidad’s Hibiscus platform (the on-trend Hibiscus, Poinsettia, Chaconia fields, 2.4 Tcf).
- Tullow is exploring offshore SW Jamaica (oil seeps) and is to record 3D seismic updip of Liza and in the adjacent Orinduik licence offshore Guyana.
- ION Geophysical has expanded by 50% a seismic survey offshore Panama in response to increased industry interest and prefunding.
- Grenada has a rumoured offshore gas discovery, Nutmeg-2.
- Mexico’s Jan. 31 deepwater auction: ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell , Chevron, BP, Statoil, Total, BHP Billiton, Lukoil, CNOOC.
The new play discoveries of multi-Tcf gas and giant oil fields indicate great potential and herald increasing interest in the area.
Who should attend?
Geologists, geophysicists, entrepreneurs, National Oil Companies, engineers, New Ventures executives in independent oil companies, venture capitalists, analysts (big data / artificial intelligence) for modeling.