This presentation is designed for exploration/production geologists and geological managers or reservoir engineers. The course will give you an overview of the history of stratigraphy from traditional lithostratigraphy and biostratigraphy through seismic stratigraphy, sequence stratigraphy and allostratigraphy. The presentation provides an introduction to the theories that inform how sequences and systems tracts form as well as a practical methodology for undertaking stratigraphic systems using outcrop, core, well log, and seismic data.
The presentation will explain the relationship of the techniques and theories to exploration and production:
- Graphic description and interpretation of facies successions from cores and outcrops.
- Correlation techniques in siliciclastic outcrop and well log datasets.
- Overview of seismic interpretation techniques and how they are applied to outcrop and well
log data sets.
- Construction of time-stratigraphic charts (Wheeler diagrams)
- Determination of facies and parasequence stacking patterns and systems tracts and sequence
identification in 1D well logs and in cross sections.
Implication of revised sequence stratigraphic correlations for discovering bypassed pay in
known reservoirs or step-out exploration opportunities.
- How sequence stratigraphy can be used to highlight reservoir architecture and reservoir
quality and for flow-unit definition.
Structure of the E-Symposium
Each e-symposium consists of one-hour live e-symposium, along with material for one full day of independent study. The live portion will be followed by a full day of independent study (not a live event). The one-hour live e-symposium can be accessed from any computer anywhere in the world using a high-speed internet connection. After the event is over, you will receive via email information about accessing the asynchronous segment (not live) which consists of your independent study materials, to be accessed and studied at any time. You will be able to email responses to the readings, along with your study question answers for CEU credit (if you sign up for the extended package).