This course provides an overview of the petrography of siliciclastic rocks, including sandstones, siltstones, shales, and associated rocks (including mudrocks). The course covers the mineralogy, grains, texture and classification, diagenesis, and other topics.
- Texture and Classification
- Sand and sandstone textures
- Siltstones, mudstones, claystones, and shales
- Replacement and recrystallization
- Emerging technologies and techniques
This is a self-paced, self-guided course, with interaction with an instructor. It consists of 8 units, and is designed to be completed in 4 weeks. Course textbook is AAPG’s Memoir 109: A Color Guide to the Petrography of Sandstones, Siltstones, Shales and Associated Rocks. This book is NOT included in the course price, and must be purchased separately from the AAPG Store. There are also online materials.