This course provides an overview of petroleum geology, from exploration to development. It provides foundational information required to work in the current industry environment, with content that ranges from a historical overview to methods of exploration, new technologies, subsurface geology, petroleum generation, reservoirs, traps, seals, petroleum systems, unconventional reservoirs, shale plays, geophysics, geochemistry, and more.
- History of Petroleum Geology
- Physical and Chemical Properties
- Exploration Methods
- Subsurface: Waters, Temperatures, Pressures, Fluid Dynamics
- Generation of Petroleum
- Reservoirs, Traps, Seals
- Sedimentary Basins and Petroleum Systems
- Unconventionals, including Shale Plays
- The Role of Technology
This is a self-paced, self-guided course, with interaction with an instructor. It consists of 8 units, and is designed to be completed in 4 weeks. All materials are online.