Peter Lloyd received his Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Natural Sciences, Geology, from the University of Cambridge, England. He has since enjoyed a 40-year international career with BP, Deminex, and Schlumberger where he worked in a series of technical, marketing and business management positions in exploration and production geology, as well as research and engineering. He now teaches for SLB-NExT, Heriot Watt University and the EAGE.
Peter has lived and worked in Europe, the United States, Latin America and both the Middle and Far East, and also lectures in Africa and the Former Soviet Union. He was part of the team that built the first electrical imaging tool in 1985, and has specialized in high resolution image analysis and log interpretation in complex lithologies.
Peter has presented more than 30 technical papers, and in 1999-2000 was a Society of Professional Well Log Analyst’s (SPWLA) Distinguished Lecturer addressing two themes, “Chasing Channel Sands” and “Evaluating Fractured Basement”. From 2004-07 he was a Distinguished Lecturer for the European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE) on education, training and career development.
AAPG Vice President International, Peter has served on the Board of the SPWLA as Regional Director for the Far East from 1998-2001, as President of the AAPG’s Asia/Pacific Region (1999-2002). In 2002 he was elected Vice President of the AAPG’s. He received an SPWLA Award of Appreciation in 1999, and an AAPG Distinguished Service Award in 2000 and in 2008 he received Honorary Membership of the AAPG. He is a recent awardee of the AAPG’s Division of Environmental Geosciences. He is a AAPG certified geologist and chartered by the Geol Soc of London. He is a life member of the Geological Society of Malaysia, the Indonesian Petroleum Association and SEAPEX.
Peter has taught extensively. He was Adjunct Professor on the University of Texas’ Software Engineering Master’s program, a Visiting Professor with Brunei University (Petroleum Geoscience), an Honorary Professor at Heriot Watt University (Petroleum Engineering) and a Learning Advisor and Lecturer at Shell’s Open University. He has given more than 150 industry schools on Petroleum Geoscience, Subsurface Facies Analysis and Log Interpretation, and from 2001-04 he managed Schlumberger’s NExT training company for the Middle East and Asia/Pacific regions. He lives with his wife in France and Bali.
- 1978: M.A. Geology, Cambridge University, Cambridge, England
- 1974: B.A. Geology, Cambridge University, Cambridge, England
NExT, Alcantarilha, Portugal
- 2004-Present: NExT Instructor, Worldwide Teaching Portfolio
- 2000-04: Schlumberger-NExT, Business Manager, Mid East & Asia Pacific, Kuala Lumpur (KL) & Dubai
- 1997-2000: Schlumberger (SLB), Interpretation Development Manager, East Asia, KL, Malaysia
- 1995-97: SLB, Chief Geologist SE Asia & Australasia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- 1990-95: Austin Systems Centre (SLB), Manager Quality Assurance, Austin, Texas, USA
- 1987-90: ASC-SLB, Senior Engineer, Workstation Systems, Austin, Texas, USA
- 1984-87: SLB-Engineering, Worldwide Field Test Coordinator Formation Imager, Paris, France
- 1982-84: SLB North Continental Europe, Marketing & Interpretation Manager, the Hague, Netherlands
- 1981-82: SLB, Chief Geologist Latin America & Europe, Caracas-Venezuela & London, UK
- 1978-81: Deminex, Lead Geologist, Latin America Exploration & Production, Essen, Germany
- 1976-78: British Petroleum, Senior Exploration Geologist, Netherlands & Germany, The Hague, Netherlands
- 1974-76: BP, Exploration Geologist, UK Offshore, Aberdeen, Scotland