Piotr Krzywiec holds an M.S. in geology and an M.S. and Ph.D. in exploration geophysics. He studied at the Jagiellonian University and the AGH University of Science and Technology, both in Kraków, Poland, and at Imperial College, London, UK. Having spent 16 years at the Polish Geological Institute in Warsaw, in 2012 he joined the Institute of Geological Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, where he holds the position of associate professor. He has also been an external lecturer in geophysics/seismic methods at the Jagiellonian University, Kraków, and the University of Warsaw.
Krzywiec's main research interests include integrated analysis of geophysical and geologic data, basin analysis, application of geophysical methods in exploration for conventional and unconventional hydrocarbons, seismic stratigraphy, inversion tectonics, salt tectonics, and compressional tectonics. He is also interested in the history of geology and geological cartography. He has authored or co-authored more than 100 peer-reviewed papers or book chapters published in Poland and abroad.
He is an active member of the Polish Geological Society, American Association of Petroleum Geologists (including the AAPG Committee on History of Petroleum Geology), Society of Exploration Geophysicists, the Petroleum History Institute, and the International Commission on the History of Geological Sciences.
- 1992: M.Sc., Exploration Geophysics, Academy of Mining & Metallurgy, Kraków, Poland
- 1992: M.Sc., Geology, Jagiellonian University, Kraków, Poland
- 1998: Ph.D., Exploration Geophysics, Academy of Mining & Metallurgy, Kraków, Poland
- 2007: Habilitation (Associate Professorship), Earth Sciences, Academy of Mining & Metallurgy, Kraków, Poland
Institute of Geological Sciences, Polish Academy of Sciences
- 1998-2001: Head of Dept. of Geophysics, Polish Geological Institute, Warsaw, Poland
- 2001-06: Head of Dept. of Regional Geology and Geophysics, Polish Geological Institute, Warsaw, Poland
- 2006-07: Head of Dept. of Seismic Methods and Basin Analysis, Polish Geological Institute Warsaw, Poland
- 2007-09: Head of Dept. of Geophysics, Polish Geological Institute, Warsaw, Poland
- 2009-12: Associate Professor, Polish Geological Institute, Warsaw, Poland
- 2012-present: Associate Professor, Institute of Geological Sciences, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
- 2007-present: External lecturer in Geophysics, Jagiellonian University, Kraków, Poland
- 2011-present: Ad hoc external lecturer in Seismic Merthods, University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
- 2015-present: External lecturer in Seismic Methods, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
- Krzywiec P., Peryt T.M., Kiersnowski H., Pomianowski P., Czapowski G., Kwolek K., Permo-Triassic evaporites of the Polish Basin and their bearing on the tectonic evolution and hydrocarbon system, an overview, 2017, [in]: Soto J., Flinch J., Tari G. (eds.), Permo-Triassic Salt Provinces of Europe, North Africa and the Central Atlantic: Tectonics and Hydrocarbon Potential. Elsevier (in press).
- Krzywiec P., Mazur S., Gągała Ł, Kufrasa M., Lewandowski M., Malinowski M., Buffenmyer V., 2017, Late Carboniferous thin-skinned compressional deformation above the SW edge of the East European Craton as revealed by reflection seismic and potential fields data - correlations with the Variscides and the Appalachians, In: R. Law, R. Thigpen, H. Stowell, A. Merschat (eds.), "Linkages and Feedbacks in Orogenic Processes", Geological Society of America Special Paperes 213 (in press).
- Mazur S., Mikolajczak M., Krzywiec P., Malinowski M., Lewandowski M., Buffenmyer V., 2016, Pomeranian Caledonides, NW Poland - a collisional suture or thin-skinned fold-and-thrust belt? Tectonophysics. doi:10.1016/j.tecto.2016.06.017.
- Mazur S., Mikołajczyk M., Krzywiec P., Malinowski M., Buffenmyer V., Lewandowski M., 2015, Is the Teisseyre-Tornquist Zone an ancient plate boundary of Baltica? Tectonics, DOI:10.1002/2015TC003934
- Krzywiec P., Oszczypko N., Bukowski K., Oszczypko-Clowes M., Śmigielski M., Stuart F.M., Persano C., Sinclair H.D., 2014, Structure and evolution of the Carpathian thrust front between Tarnów and Pilzno (Pogórska Wola area, southern Poland) — results of integrated analysis of seismic and borehole data. Geological Quarterly, 58 (3): 399–416, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7306/gq.1189
- Rowan M., Krzywiec P., 2014, The Szamotuły salt diapir and Mid-Polish Trough: Decoupling during both Triassic-Jurassic rifting and Alpine