Keith studied Geology and Geophysics at Durham University and after taking part in geophysical research cruises in the Arctic, Atlantic and Indian Oceans received his PhD from the University of Wales on the plate tectonic evolution of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
His career in the energy industry has spanned a wide range of technical, operational and managerial roles in both major International companies and smaller exploration-focused, independent organizations. He has been involved in basin, play and prospect analysis throughout his career, focusing for many years on the assessment of new business opportunities across the full E & P project lifecycle. He has also led onshore and offshore geological and geophysical operations in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Far East. He has contributed to the discovery of new reserves in the Far East, Europe, Africa and the former Soviet Union.
He has chaired and organized numerous international conferences and workshops. He has published regularly throughout his career with a particular interest on the integration of plate tectonics, basin analysis, sequence stratigraphy and carbonate geoscience in the search for new sources of energy.
Keith has been actively involved in furthering the links between Industry and academia for many years, serving on the Industrial Liaison Boards of a number of UK and European Universities and as a co-supervisor of postgraduate studies. He has taught and lectured in both industry and academia on a wide range of geoscience and energy business subjects. He served on the NERC review panel for the establishment of the UK Centre of Doctoral Training for Oil and Gas and sits on a number of CDT committees.
Keith is a past-President of AAPG Europe and was made an Honorary Professor of Heriot-Watt University in 2014.
- 1982: Ph.D. Geology & Geophysics, University College Swansea, University of Wales, Wales, UK, Europe
- 1978: B.Sc. (Hons.) Geology & Geophysics, University of Durham, Durham, England, Europe
Shell International Ltd., London, UK
- 2015-Present: Shell International Ltd., Professor, London, UK
- 2002-15: Shell International E&P B.V., Global Exploration Advisor, Den Haag, The Netherlands, Europe
- 1999-2002: Independent Consultant, London, United Kingdom, Europe
- 1997-99: Triton Resources, Exploration Manager, London, UK, Europe
- 1992-97: Nimir Petroleum Company, Geophysical Manager, London, UK, Europe
- 1985-92: BP International, Senior Explorationist, London, UK, Europe
- 1983-85: Shell International, Production Geoscientist, Den Haag, The Netherlands, Europe