Victor Ramirez is a Senior Geologist and Hydrocarbon and Energy Consultant with 27+ years of experience working for primarily for Ecopetrol, Colombia’s national oil company.
He obtained his undergraduate degree from Universidad Nacional de Colombia in Bogotá, postgraduate studies in Economic Geology from ITC in The Netherlands and a Masters in Geology from the University of Alabama.
Victor has done extensive work in both offshore and onshore Colombian basins, focusing on petroleum systems, exploration geochemistry, exploration projects and management. During his time at Ecopetrol, Victor served as team lead for Offshore Colombia, and he was deeply involved with the country’s exploratory campaign in the Colombia offshore basins, including Orca discovery in 2014.
He has served as President of both the Colombian Association of Petroleum Geologists and Geophysicists (ACGGP) and AAPG’s Latin America and Caribbean Region (AAPG LACR) and remains active with both societies. Victor currently serves as AAPG LACR Advisory Counselor and is active with the Boy Scouts.
- 2007: M.Sc. Geology, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
- 1996: Diploma Mineral Exploration, The International Institute for Geo-Information
Science and Earth Observation (ITC), Delft, The Netherlands, Europe
- 1993: B.Sc. Geology, Universidad Nacional Bogotá Colombia, Bogotá, Colombia
Ecopetrol, S.A., Bogotá, Colombia
- 2007-Present: Ecopetrol S.A., Offshore Exploration Advisor, Exploration Team Leader, Colombia Exploration Manager, Bogota, Colombia
- 2005-07: PTTC-DOE, University of Alabama, Research Assistant, Tuscaloosa,
- 1997-2005: Ecopetrol S.A., Exploration Geologist, Exploration Team Leader
- 1993-95: Geopozos S.A., Hydrogeology and Hydrocarbons, Exploration