Antonio Velasquez is an experienced geoscientist specializing in seismic interpretation and structural geology applied to oil and gas exploration. He currently works for Ecopetrol S.A. as seismic interpreter and geophysicist conducting modeling and characterization studies of conventional and unconventional reservoirs.
Antonio obtained undergraduate and graduate geology degrees from the National University of Colombia, where he currently works teaching second and third year geology students. He also received a Masters in geophysics from the Colorado School of Mines, where he became involved with the school’s AAPG Student Chapter.
Since accepting the position of AAPG YP Lead for Latin America, Antonio has worked actively to reactivate and encourage Student Chapters, to guide YP Chapters in Peru, Colombia and Argentina and to deliver technical talks throughout the region. In 2013, he coordinated YP and Student Activities for the highly successful AAPG Cartagena ICE and served as technical director of the first Latin American Geoscience Students Conference.
Antonio believes in force of Latin American young people and says keeping students and YPs enthusiastic about AAPG is the key to helping the Association achieve significant, long-term growth in the region.
- 2012: M.Sc. Geophysics and Seismology, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA
- 2010: M.Sc. Geology, National University of Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
- 2002: B.Sc. Geology, National University of Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
Ecopetrol Brasil, Rio de Janiero, Brazil
- 2015-Present: Ecopetrol, Senior Geologist & Geophysicist, Bogota, Colombia
- 2018-Present: Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota, Adjunct Professor, Seismic Exploration and Structural Geology, Bogota, Colombia
- 2013-14: Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota, Adjunct Professor, Structural Geology, Bogota, Colombia
- 2011-12: Colorado School of Mines, Teaching Assistant, Seismic Dataprocessing and Continuum Mechanics for Earth Sciences, Golden, Colorado, USA
- 2004-10: Ecopetrol, Exploration Geologist and Geophysicist, Bogota, Colombia