History of Petroleum Geology Committee
The purpose of the Committee is to preserve and promote the history and heritage of the evolution of geological concepts and technology used in the search for oil and gas worldwide, and the men and women who are responsible for this evolution.
The committee endeavors to do this by:
- Facilitating presentations and posters at AAPG conferences.
- Soliciting and editing papers for publication in the AAPG Explorer and other publications.
- Facilitating the knowledge of and access to existing key publications.
- Building and fostering relationships with other key organizations, such as museums and societies, with a common vision.
- Posting information on our AAPG webpage to facilitate a greater knowledge and appreciation of our history and heritage.
- Coordinating and participating in the construction of special exhibits.
- Honoring mem and women who have made pioneering contributions to the concepts and technology of our profession.
The goals of the committee are:
- For AAPG membership to gain a better appreciation of our personal, technical, and institutional heritage in order to have higher collective pride and self-esteem.
- For AAPG Members to better find petroleum in the future by having a better appreciation of how it has been found in the past.
- To strengthen the AAPG by attracting students and retaining young professionals by instilling in them a better appreciation of our history and heritage.
- To give other sectors of our industry and society in general a better understanding of the realities and challenges of exploring for petroleum.