To become a Member of AAPG, the applicant needs a degree in geological science and a minimum of one year experience in the professional practice or teaching of geology and sponsor endorsement. Additional education or professional activity can alter these requirements. Only Active Members may vote or hold office in the Association.
Any person who is a graduate of a college of acceptable academic standards whose employment is associated with geology may apply for election as an Associate.
In our on-going effort to reach every geoscientist throughout the world, AAPG created the Corporate Group and Business Group Membership Programs, initiated for National Oil Companies.
Those students majoring in geology or a related field at a college of acceptable academic standards are eligible to become student members.
Former membership of any classification whose membership has lapsed for any reason except ethical considerations, may apply for reinstatement.
Benefits of Membership
In addition to subscriptions to both the Bulletin and the Explorer, searchable Bulletin archives (online), and discounts on publications, meetings and courses, each individual is eligible for:
- Group insurance programs, including life, health, disability insurance, and personal coverage like auto and home insurance
- Car rental discounts from a national firm
- Membership in a credit union
- Services of the AAPG Foundation Energy Resources Library
- Career Center access; our online job posting/résumé service
- Member registry
Who We Are
AAPG, an international geological organization, has offices in London, Dubai, Singapore, Bogota and Washington, DC. Included among its membership are geologists, geophysicists, CEOs, managers, consultants, students, and academicians.
- 45% of AAPG membership holds a title of manager or above.
- AAPG membership includes over 8,000 students.
- 39% of AAPG membership lives outside the United States.
- For 43% of the membership, exploration is the primary concentration. Another 18% have their primary concentration in development/reservoir management.
- AAPG has nearly 100 Affiliated Societies spanning the globe. Also, there are eleven national or international organizations which hold Associated status with AAPG.