Online registration is open for this year’s AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition, which will be held April 6-9 at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston – and reduced registration fees are still available for those who act fast.
Those who register on or before March 17 can still save up to $105. This year’s ACE marks the 13th time Houston has played host for the AAPG annual meeting.
This year’s theme is “Ideas and Innovation: Fuel for the Energy Capital,” and the comprehensive technical program will include more than 400 oral presentations and 390 full-day poster presentations.
- Sunday’s opening session, featuring an address by AAPG President Lee Krystinik and the bestowing of honors to the Association’s and profession’s best, led by Sidney Powers Memorial Award winner Ernest A. Mancini and Michel T. Halbouty Outstanding Leadership Award winner Peter R. Rose.
- This year there will be not one but two Discovery Thinking Forums – making them the ninth and tenth in in the AAPG 100th Anniversary Committee’s initiative honoring “100 Who Made a Difference.” The sessions will be held in the morning and afternoon Monday, April 7.
- Kirk Johnson, Sant Director of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History, will be the All-Convention Luncheon speaker, talking on “Evolution, Time, Tectonics, Asteroids, Climate and the Trajectory of Earth Science.”
- Carlos A. Dengo, director of the Berg-Hughes Center for petroleum and Sedimentary Systems at Texas A&M University, will present this year’s AAPG Foundation-sponsored Michel T. Halbouty Lecture, at 5:10 p.m. Monday, April 7.
- A forum that takes an in-depth look at the spotlight-grabbing shale gas experience, titled “U.S. Shale Gas Reserves and Production: Accelerators and Inhibitors,” set at 8 a.m. Tuesday, April 8.
- The AAPG Imperial Barrel Awards ceremony once again will be presented in a colorful, exciting setting immediately preceding the opening session, open to all attendees.
- As always, the exhibits hall will be filled with the latest technology, information and energy services – and will be the site for the annual Icebreaker reception, daily refreshments, the Cyber C@fé and the AAPG International Pavilion.
Meeting details – including the complete technical program, field trips, short courses and various events – can be found in the official ACE announcement that accompanied the January EXPLORER, or online at ace.aapg.org/2014 EXPLORER