Twelve university teams from around the world competed in the finals of AAPG’s Imperial Barrel Award program at the AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition in San Antonio.
The 12 teams were the finalists of 34 university teams from around the globe that entered the annual prospect/exploration evaluation/presentation competition between university student teams competing to win scholarship funds.
The teams analyzed a complete dataset in six to eight weeks prior to the competition and (geology, geophysics, land, economics, production infrastructure and other relevant materials). Each team delivered their results in a 30-minute presentation to a panel of industry experts who acted as judges.
The first place team was awarded $20,000, with $10,000 for second and $5,000 for third. The remaining finalists received $1,000 each.
The program is rigorous and contributes to AAPG’s mission of promoting petroleum geoscience training and advancing the careers of geoscience students.
Listed here are the first place and ”wild card” teams that participated in this year’s IBA.
- Africa Region – Federal University of Technology, Nigeria.
- Asia Pacific Region – University of Indonesia.
- Canada Region – University of Alberta.
- European Region – University of Leoben, Austria.
- Eastern Section – West Virginia University.
- Gulf Coast Section – University of Louisiana, Lafayette.
- Mid-Continent Section – University of Oklahoma.
- Pacific Section – San Diego State University.
- Rocky Mountain Section – Colorado School of Mines.
- Southwest Section – Texas Christian University.
- Wild card (2008 only) – University of Aberdeen (2007 IBA winner).
- Wild card (2008 only) – Imperial College London (program concept founder).