The AAPG Foundation's Members of the Corporation re-elected several “regular members” during the group’s recent meeting in San Antonio.
Those re-elected to five-year terms that begin on July 1 are:
- David G. Campbell, Oklahoma City.
- Robert W. Esser, Huntington, N.Y.
- M. Ray Thomasson, Denver.
- Robert J. Weimer, Golden, Colo.
Trustees also re-elected for three-year terms are:
- John J. Amoruso, Houston.
- Marlan W. Downey, Dallas.
The next Members of the Corporation meeting is set for June 8, 2009, in Denver.
In other Foundation news, the Board of Trustees recently approved $289,273 for the following funding requests:
- $35,000 for the “Bookout K-12 Initiative” through the Ellison Miles Institute.
- $10,423 for the Student Focus Committee for a booth at GSA Houston.
- $20,000 for the Youth Educational Activities Committee, to be used for 800 copies of volunteer geologists handbooks.
- $50,000 for the University of Texas GIS Tectonic Map Project.
- $30,000 (payable over three years) for the University of Texas GeoForce Outreach High School Program.
- $48,000 for AAPG Datapages.
- $95,000 for the Petroleum Technology Transfer Council.
- $850 for Philmont-Boy Scouts.
Funding for specific educational projects was a big focus for Foundation donors during the past month.
♦ Trustee Associate Chairman Paul Strunk and his wife, Deana, recently provided a $20,000 contribution to provide a scholarship to a geology graduate student at his alma mater, Kansas State University.
♦ Furthering educational support for future geoscientists, Trustee William Gipson has provided funding to be directed toward a University of Texas student declaring his/her major in petroleum geology.
The East Texas Geological Society recently provided funding to establish an endowment directed for an AAPG Datapages library subscription at Stephen F. Austin State University.
The university subscription will provide students and faculty access to the entire AAPG Digital Library (over 600,000 pages of maps and geological information) in perpetuity.
Currently 43 colleges and universities receive AAPG Datapages subscriptions through the Foundation program. A onetime gift of $12,500 to the AAPG Foundation will provide a subscription for your alma mater.