I am honored to be asked to stand for office in the House of Delegates as secretary/editor. I have been a member of AAPG for over 20 years, and a member of the HoD for over seven years. Much of my career has been in Wyoming, and I have represented the Wyoming Geological Association, having also served as WGA president. About two years ago I finished a term as president of the Rocky Mountain Section, culminating in leading an RMS meeting in Cheyenne, Wyo. in 2011, as the Niobrara play was starting to heat up.
My current activities have me conducting research projects on unconventional reservoirs in North and South America. In fact, as I write this I am on a ten-day trip in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. There are great opportunities for exploration and production yet to be found and developed and I am pleased to be involved in the search.
Early in my career I read a book by petroleum geologist Walter Youngquist titled, “Over the Hill and Down the Creek,” describing a career that included multi-sector work for major oil companies, the U.S. Geological Survey and academia, and I thought how neat it would be to emulate a similar career. Well, I have been privileged to do so, with experiences with oil operators large and small, the oilfield service sector, a federal agency (DOE) and now in an academic/research role. I believe these broad experiences position me to represent many other AAPG members and serve the HoD with its corresponding wealth of experience and roles. AAPG membership is an excellent resource and support organization for all aspects of the petroleum industry.
Academic Degrees and Certifications
- 1977 M.S. geology, Brigham Young University
- 1973 B.S. geology, Brigham Young University
- Registered Professional Geologist in the State of Wyoming, #PG-1207
- 2011-Present Energy & Geoscience Institute, University of Utah
- 2003-Present Affiliated Faculty, Brigham Young University
- 2004-11 Navarro Research and Engineering (contractor to U.S. Department of Energy at the Rocky Mountain Oilfield Testing Center)
- 1996-2003 Landmark Graphics (Halliburton)
- 1985-96 Conoco
- 1981-85 Skyline Oil Co., (subsidiary of Texas Eastern Corp.)
- 1977-81 Gulf Oil Corp.
- 1973-75 Santa Barbara City College
- 2011-12 Section officer, Rocky Mountain, past president
- 2010-11 Section president, Rocky Mountain Section
- 2009-11 EMD Geothermal Energy Committee
- 2009-10 Rocky Mountain Section president-elect
- 2008-09 Rocky Mountain Section secretary-treasurer
AAPG House of Delegates Activities
- 2006-15 Delegate, Wyoming Geological Association
- 2011-14 Honors and Awards Committee
- 2008-09 Rules & Procedures Committee
Other Professional Societies
- 2011-Present Member, Utah Geological Association
- 2009-Present Member, Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists
- 1977-Present Member, Wyoming Geological Association
- 2006-07 Society president, Wyoming Geological Association
- 2005-06 President-elect, Wyoming Geological Association
- 2004-05 Second vice president and program chair, Wyoming Geological Association
- 1990-1991 Secretary, Wyoming Geological Association