In response to the needs expressed by members and based on AAPG's new strategic plan, AAPG is establishing a new plan of support for both the Sections and Regions.
The comprehensive plan is an enhancement of current support along with new ideas for future development.
- Expansion of the International Bulletin Board in the AAPG EXPLORER.
The regular monthly column will continue to include information from Regions but also, in future issues, it will contain information about Section activities.
We are designing a one-stop shop location in the EXPLORER for information on the Regions and Sections, including key dates for ongoing projects, especially conferences and workshops.
Each month a particular Region and/or Section will be highlighted based on current activity.
- Regular communications with headquarters.
We already have established monthly teleconferences with the Region presidents, and we have requested a similar arrangement with the Section presidents. Also, AAPG's directors have started providing monthly operations updates from headquarters in the interest of keeping the AAPG leadership, including Section and Region officers, informed.
- Conference planning assistance.
Last year, AAPG produced a new service model for helping Sections with their conferences. This year we are offering a similar service model to the Regions. The full proposal is listed on the AAPG's Web site in the International/Regions area.
Included is an offer for staff-time for an evaluation of the needs for a particular conference. There is no cost for this evaluation except for direct travel expenses in the event onsite analysis is required.
AAPG also offers the following services to the Regions and Sections:
- One free quarter-page ad (black and white) per year in the EXPLORER.
- Free address lists for mailing conference announcements.
- Web site services.
- Finally, for the past 10 years AAPG has offered a special digital service to our affiliated societies and related Sections and Regions. Based on available resources, we will capture the publications archives, add them to the online publication archives database and (sometimes) create a CD-ROM based product -- all at no cost to the society.
For this service, the societies agree to allow AAPG/Datapages to include all digits in the various online databases for subscription to geoscience professionals and to the public, and receive quarterly royalties on this subscription income and on the sale of CDs. Societies even can direct-sell the CD sets to their own members for a larger share of the income.
"The great thing about this offer is that AAPG/Datapages already has a substantial subscription base, so joining the program can provide immediate return to the participating society," said Jim Blankenship, AAPG geoscience director.
Each Section and Region president was sent a full summary of AAPG's services. If you have any questions please e-mail Brenda Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call at (918) 560-2628.