Students, Chapters Awards Announced
Student Chapter awards and awards for student technical presentations given at the AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition in San Antonio have been announced by the Convention Organizing and Student Chapters committees.
Shell Best Oral Presentations
- First place – Joannah M. Metz, California Institute of Technology, for “Sulfate-Rich Eolian and Wet Interdune Deposits, Erebus Crater, Meridiani Planum, Mars.”
- Second place – Andrew L. Petter, University of Texas at Austin, for “Small Lowstand Deltas as a Consequence of Sustained Alluvia Aggradation During Relative Sea-Level Fall.”
- Third place – Enzo S. Aconcha, University of Texas at Austin, for “Integrating Core, Well Logs and Seismic Interpretation to Improve Understanding of Albian Patch Reefs, Maverick Basin, SW Texas.”
Shell Best Poster Presentations
- First place – David Contreras, University of Texas at Austin, for “Structural and Stratigraphic Correlations Across the Burro Negro Fault Zone, Northeastern Margin of the Maracaibo Supergiant Basin.”
- Second place – Brandi Harkins, University of Nebraska, for “Toward a More Refined Lower Miocene Calcareous Nannofossil Biostratigraphy in the Gulf of Mexico.”
- Third place – Zishann Khan, University of Ottawa, for “Levee Asymmetry in a Deep-Water Channel Bend: Example from the Isaac Formation (Windermere Supergroup), Southern Canadian Cordillera.”
Schlumberger Outstanding Student Chapter Winners
- International – Padadjaran University, Indonesia.
- United States – University of Utah.
Jim Hartman Service to Students Award
- Robert T. “Bob” Clarke.
The Hartman Award is presented in recognition of long-term support of AAPG student members and significant contributions to the education and professional development of young geoscientists.
AAPG’s Student Chapters program also received sponsor support for specific events during the annual convention in San Antonio, including:
- AAPG/SEPM student reception – ExxonMobil.
- Student lounge – Chevron.
- Student Chapter field trip and short course – EBY Petrography & Consulting, EnCana Oil & Gas and Pioneer Natural Resources.
- Student volunteers – Noble Energy.
- Participation in field trips and short courses – Newfield Exploration.
- Datapages free download cards – Devon Energy, Hess
- Student membership fees– Chevron.