Lecture Season Off To Early Start
Call it bonus coverage.
AAPG’s Distinguished Lecture program gets off to an early start this year with three international tours scheduled to take place in August.
Specific lecture dates are yet to be announced, but the speakers will be offering talks in Latin America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
AAPG’s DL program, funded in part by the AAPG Foundation, was developed to expose students, young geologists, college faculty members and members of geological societies to current information, research and thinking, both domestically and on an international level.
The complete slate of 2007-08 speakers and abstracts will be announced in the August EXPLORER and is available online at www.aapg.org.
Touring in August will be:
Jose Luis Massaferro, exploration adviser for Repsol YPF Exploration and Production, Madrid, Spain and Buenos Aires, Argentina, will be lecturing in Latin America.
His talk is on “Three-Dimensional Seismic Imaging of Carbonate Reservoirs and Systems.”
Peter McCabe, formerly with the U.S. Geological Survey in Denver but now with CSIRO Petroleum in North Ryde, Australia, will be lecturing in Australia and New Zealand. He will be offering three talks:
- “Distribution of the World’s Oil and Gas Source Rocks in Space and Time -- Perspectives for Exploration in Frontier Basins.”
- “World Oil and Gas Resources -- How Much is Left and Where Will It Be Found?”
- “Deltaic Systems and Super-Systems -- Controls on Petroleum Accumulation.”
John Walsh, lecturer and associate professor for the Fault Analysis Group at the School of Geological Sciences, University College, Dublin, Ireland, will be on tour Europe. He is offering two talks:
- “The Growth of Fault Systems on Different Time Scales: Reconciling the Long-Term Growth and Earthquake Behavior of Normal Faults.”
- “The Structure, Content and Growth of Fault Zones Within Sedimentary Sequences.”
Specific dates and locations will be published when available on the AAPG Web site.
For more information contact Karen Dotts at AAPG headquarters, 918-560-2621; or email@example.com.