Speakers Launch Their Tours
Four AAPG Distinguished Lecturers – three domestic and one international – will be on speaking tours during February.
Timothy H. Dixon, professor at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, will offer two talks: “Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans – Subsidence,” and “Crustal Deformation Near the San Andreas Fault – Estimating Elastic Parameters of the Upper Crust with Space Godesy.” His tour dates are:
- Feb. 20 – Canadian Society of Petroleum Geology (Calgary).
- Feb. 21 – University of Colorado (Boulder).
- Feb. 22 – Montana Geological Society.
- Feb. 23 – Humboldt State University.
- Feb. 26 – University of California.
- Feb. 27 – University of New Mexico.
- Feb. 28 – University of Kansas.
- March 1 – Tulsa Geological Society.
- March 2 – Oklahoma State University (Stillwater).
Marian Warren, a geologist with EnCana Corp., Calgary, Canada, and this year’s Haas-Pratt Distinguished Lecturer, also offers two talks: “A High-impact Gas Discovery in a Maturing Basin (Western Canada),” and “Extensional Faulting, Paleodrainage Patterns and Impact on Hydrocarbon Reservoir Quality and Distribution During Foreland Basin Subsidence: A Case Study from the Cretaceous of Alberta.” Her tour dates are:
- Feb. 12 – University of Calgary.
- Feb. 13 – Saskatchewan Geological Society.
- Feb. 14 – Wyoming Geological Society.
- Feb. 15 – Utah Geological Survey and Brigham Young University.
- Feb. 16 – Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists.
- Feb. 19 – University of Colorado.
- Feb. 20 – Idaho State University.
- Feb. 21 – Roswell Geological Society.
- Feb. 23 – Southern Methodist University.
- Feb. 27 – RMS SEPM.
Steven L. Bachtel, carbonate reservoir specialist for ConocoPhillips, Houston, will make his second speaking tour, offering the talk “Seismic Stratigraphy of the Miocene-Pliocene Segitiga Platform, East Natuna Sea Indonesia – The Origin, Growth and Demise of an Isolated Carbonate Platform.”
His tour dates are:
- Feb. 26 – University of Colorado.
- Feb. 27 – Colorado State University.
- Feb. 28 – University of Idaho.
- March 2 – University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
- March 6 – Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists.
- March 7 – Montana Geological Society.
- March 8 – Roswell Geological Society.
- March 9 – University of Texas at Austin.
International lecturer James R. Markello, with ExxonMobil Research, Houston, offers the talk “The Carbonate Analogs Through Time (CATT) Hypothesis – A Systematic and Predictive Look at Phanerozoic Carbonate Reservoirs.” He will tour the Middle East, and his tour dates are:
- Feb. 24 – University of Kuwait and Kuwait SPE.
- Feb. 25 – Doha Geological Society.
- Feb. 27 – Geological Society of Oman, Muscat and Muscat University.
- March 4 – Dhahran Geological Society, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- March 6 – University of United Arab Emirates, Al Ain.
- March 8 – Emirates Society of Geology, Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.
- March 11 – Egypt Petroleum Exploration Society, Cairo, Egypt.
- March 14 – Turkish Petroleum Geologists Association, Ankara.