Distinguished Instructor Tour Set
Vitor Abreu, AAPG’s inaugural international Distinguished Instructor, will offer his presentation in November, starting with a two-day stop at the Associacó Brasileira de Geólogos de Petröleo in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Nov. 9-10.
Abreu will then move to the West Indies Nov. 13, speaking to the Geological Society of Trinidad & Tobago.
Abreu, with ExxonMobil Exploration in Houston, is offering a two-day short course on “Sequence Stratigraphy for Petroleum Exploration,” which is a “hands-on” introduction to the concepts and practical applications of sequence stratigraphy.
Through a mix of lectures, in-class work sessions and exercises the course will review:
- Basic concepts and terminology of sequence stratigraphy.
- The stratigraphic building blocks of depositional sequences.
- Recognition criteria for the identification of depositional sequences and their components in outcrops, cores, well logs and seismic.
- The application of sequence stratigraphy in non-marine, shallow marine and submarine depositional settings.
- Implications for play element prediction in petroleum exploration.
Frank Peel, with BHP Billiton in Houston, is slated to be the first domestic DI speaker. Details and tour dates will be announced later.
For more information contact Karen Dotts at AAPG, 918-560-2621; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.