A record number of students and company sponsors participated in the recent AAPG/SEG Spring Break Student Expo at the University of Oklahoma.
The March event attracted 146 students from 25 states -- plus one student from Venezuela -- representing 41 universities. Helping to make the Expo possible were 29 company sponsors -- including the AAPG Foundation -- and five event sponsors.
The Expo featured formal employment interviews, poster competitions and energy industry exhibits, as geoscience students and energy industry representatives met to discuss energy career options.
Officials said that “everyone who attended” got the chance to talk to company recruiters during the Expo. Schlumberger alone interviewed more than 60 students.
Poster winners, who were honored at the closing awards ceremony, were:
- First place -- John Ceron, University of South Carolina.
- Second place -- Nathan Boersma, University of Idaho.
- Third place -- Khurrum Ahmed, University of Buffalo.
- First place -- Ashwani Dev, University of Texas at Dallas.
- Second place -- Ahmed Alahdal, University of Oklahoma.
- Third place -- Heidy Correa, University of Oklahoma.