- Vicky Kroh
- Education Registrar
+1 918 560-2650
- Debbi Boonstra
- Education Coordinator
+1 918 560-2630
- Education Department
- Toll Free (U.S. and Canada) +1 800 364 2274
Consolidate your training at an AAPG Education Conference. Choose between
Fall and Winter.
Concepts, Models, and Case Studies of Dolomitization – with Applications to Hydrocarbon Exploration and Development
- INSTRUCTOR S :
- Hans G. Machel (University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada) and Jay M. Gregg (Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, USA)
- INSTRUCTOR LOOKUP
- April 5 - 6, 2014
- Houston, TX, with AAPG Annual Meeting
Goes up to $1195/$1395 on 3/07/2014. Includes course notes and refreshments.
No refunds for cancellations after 3/07/2014.
- 50 people
- 1.5 CEU What is a CEU?
Who Should Attend
Petroleum geologists who work in any type of carbonate hydrocarbon reservoir, especially those in working in dolomitized reservoirs.
Attendees in this course will gain an understanding of:
- what creates dolomite in various geologic settings;
- the sizes and shapes that dolomitized reservoir bodies can attain;
- how and how much porosity and permeability can change via dolomitization.
This course summarizes the major advances and current controversies in dolomite research. A major part of this course deals with the various dolomitization models, from early to late and from shallow to deep, from hypersaline reflux to hydrothermal dolomitization and MVT mineralization. These concepts will be applied to hydrocarbon exploration and development, with specific reference to the Devonian of Western Canada. Material will be presented through a combination of lectures, case studies and class exercises.
Topics will include:
- Geochemical Constraints on Dolomitization
- Petrophysics (porosity, permeability, capillary pressure, wire line logs)
- Natural Environments and Models
- Mixing zone
- Seawater dolomitization
- Burial models
- Fracture/Hydrothermal model
- Dolomite, shales and mud rocks
- Geochemical methods (trace elements, isotopes, fluid inclusions)
- Case Studies
- Permian Basin
- West Carney Hunton
- Clarke Lake