Leadership and Strategic Thinking in the Oil & Gas Industry
- Susan Smith Nash, AAPG Director of Education, Tulsa, OK
- INSTRUCTOR LOOKUP
- Ongoing, self-paced course
SIGN UP NOW
Begins the first of each month. Includes course materials and direct interaction with the instructor via e-mail. You may start the course at any time and work at your own pace. This is a four-module course designed to be completed within 4 weeks.
- 100 people
- 4.0 What is a CEU?
Who Should Attend
Geoscientists, engineers and all decision-makers involved in the energy industry, with emphasis on oil and gas.
Times of rapid technological innovation, financial turmoil, new plays and markets, distributed teams and workforces, difficult-to-control social media, shortages of technical expertise, and time pressures involved in achieving operational objectives have come together to create new challenges and opportunities for leadership. How the issues relate to the oil and gas business (exploration, development, oilfield services, support services, financial sector) constitutes the core of this course, along with ways to transform challenges into opportunities, and to develop effective strategic thinking.
Key Topics Covered in the Course
- Leadership theories: profiles, comparisons, applications
- Management theories and application to oil and gas industry
- Creative problem-solving: internal, external, public presence
- Dealing with rapid change
- Impact of technological innovation
- Dealing with rapidly changing regulatory environment
- Environmental issues: operations, procedures, perception and reality
- Social network power & potential pitfalls
- Impact of social networking on organizational structure and integrity
- Diversity in the global context / distributed workplace
- Team-building across disciplines
- Dealing with “game-changers” (resource plays, new ways of structuring deals, capital from national oil companies, international partnerships)
- Key articles / thinkers / emergent ideas
MBA in Energy Leadership: This course can be taken alone, or in conjunction with the AAPG’s partnerships in Energy Leadership. If you are considering applying for the Texas A&M Texarkana MBA in Energy Leadership, this course is required.
Structure of the Online Course
This is a four-module course designed to be completed within 4 weeks. You may start the course at any time and work at your own pace. You will have direct interaction with the instructor via email and will receive materials through a course website. For each unit, you will be required to complete a brief report.