Visiting Geologist Program Committee
June 4, 2001 7:30 9:00 a.m.
- Call to Order
VG Chair Pat Gratton called the meeting to order at 7:45
- Introduction of Attendees
Committee members/VGs Present:
J. Janine Barnard
Pat Gratton, VG Chair
Bob Cowdery, VG Vice Chair
Bob Millspaugh, Barbara Davis and Cammy McKnight
Jamie White, Academic Liaison/Student Chapter Committee
- Report of Chair
Pat Gratton reviewed the handout, which was a report of 2000-01 VGP visits.
He informed the group that visits were up 27% compared to the previous program
year, and went over the "cost per person contacted" analysis. Also
shared that overall, evaluations from the universities have been very favorable,
and that it is very important for the VGs to return their completed evaluations
to Headquarters after each visit. Pat also informed the VGs that a requirement
to continue participation in the VG Program is to make at least one visit
every two years.
- Recognition of 2000/01 Visits/Visitors
Pat thanked the VGs present for their participation in the Visiting Geologist
Program, and thanked in particular Dave Larue and Chuck Caughey, who made
five visits each.
- Committee Assignments
General discussion which was followed by individual conversations.
- Program Function
- A slide showing the age of working geologists was requested. Updated title
slides have been ordered and will be provided to active VGs before the next
program year begins.
- Will Green requested a listing of contact people at the universities. Barbara
Davis offered that the AAPG Education staff has a Directory of Geoscience
Departments in their offices, and they would be glad to provide copies to
anyone who requests them.
- Michael Party requested that the AAPG provide information regarding resumes
and interviewing skills for the students.
- Pat pointed out that VGs should be taking a pro-active approach to visits,
and contacting the universities they are willing to visit as opposed to waiting
for the schools to make a visit request.
- VGs should notify Cammy when traveling internationally so that possible
visits can be arranged.
- Pat discussed the information Chris Heath has available regarding technical
and non-technical skills. He said he would check into making the information
available in VG packets.
- Information was requested in slide form on the history of booms and busts.
- Bob Millspaugh informed the group of the web-based training program, and
said that very soon the AAPG (in conjunction with AGI and the BEG) will be
offering on-line courses.
- Stanley Wharton stated that more international VGs are needed.
- Bob Millspaugh said that staff will be developing a separate international
- Coordination with other student focus committees (such as Academic Liaison/Student
Chapters, Grants-in-Aid, Mentoring, Student Expo, Membership, etc.)
- Pat pointed out that there is information regarding other AAPG programs
(i.e. student expo, student chapter status, grants-in-aid) provided in the
VG packets sent by headquarters before each visit.
- Dan Tearpock expressed VGs need for information on student chapters
(i.e. if one exists, and if so, officers names and contact information).
- Other items
9. Meeting adjourned at 9:05 a.m.