To Donate Publications
Publications donations are welcomed. Somewhere students and fellow geoscientists will benefit from your generosity.
Our mission is to be a pipeline for science publications to those who need them from where they are excess.
Technical publications in the sciences are our focus. Some topic examples include: biology, chemistry, geoscience or petroleum engineering.
The following types of publications are not appropriate:
- bibles, prayer books, or religious tracts
- political analysis or tracts
- sexually oriented publications
Many cultures absolutely forbid such material and penalties are very severe!
Physical Condition of Donated Material
Please donate material in good condition. Sometimes publications stored in a garage are subject to insect, mildew or mold damage. Please donate materials suitable for library collections.
Inventories are required to ship publications. You can help us greatly by making a short inventory of the contents of each box. Attach or include an inventory copy with the individual boxes.
Also, please send or e-mail copies of your completed inventories to:
Martin M. Cassidy
Dept. of Geosciences
312 Science and Research Bldg.1
University of Houston
Houston, Texas 77204-5007 USA
This blank inventory spreadsheet in Excel format will help you complete this list.
Here are some guidelines:
- Inventory each box.
- Number the boxes, and put your initials on each.
- Separate journals from books by designating specific boxes for books or for journals.
- record author, date, title, and/or series number. (Example: Halbouty, 1980, AAPG Memoir 30.)
- record the name of the periodical, date, volume, and issue number of first and last periodical in the box. (Example: AAPG Bulletin v.1 no. 1 – v.4 no. 12)
Books are heavy and the boxes take much abuse in shipping. Packaging tips:
- Use book boxes, which are about 10 in. x 12 in. x 15 in. cartons. If we are picking up in the Houston area, weaker 10 in. x 12 in. x 15 in. banker's boxes can be used. They can be purchased in bundles from Office Depot or OfficeMax or other office supply stores.
- Please do not use copy paper cartons; they are too weak for shipping.
- Fill any extra room in a box with crumpled newspapers or other packing materials.
- Use heavy-duty package tape. Reinforce the joints and perimeter of the box by taping in two directions.
Normally donations are shipped to our Houston location prepaid. Pick up can be arranged in the Houston, Dallas, San Antonio or Tulsa areas by special arrangement with the committee. Committee members listed can assist with arrangements.