2008 Diversity Seminar
The AAPG Professional Women in Earth Sciences (PROWESS) Committee and AWG sponsored a two-hour seminar, entitled “Embracing Diversity in a Global Workforce: How Do We Respond to Age, Gender, and Global Cultural Differences?”, on April 22, as part of the 2008 AAPG Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX. This seminar was designed to help participants better understand the wide range of diversity issues that we face in the workplace today and provide strategies for dealing with some of these issues. Three invited speakers provided their views on the highlighted topics.
Tom C. Roberts
- Assistant Dean, College of Engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
- Generational Perspectives: Their Impact on Ethics and Decision-making in the Workplace
M. Lee Allison
- State Geologist and Director, Arizona Geological Survey, Tucson, Arizona
- Diversify or Die
- Exploration Advisor, Chevron Europe, Eurasia, and Middle East Exploration and Production, London
- How Do We Respond to Global Cultural Diversity in the Workplace?
Following the presentations, there was time for questions/answers and discussion by the attendees. Approximately thirty people participated in the seminar, including students and seasoned professionals, both male and female, and of diverse ethnicity and national origin, and many had their own personal experiences (both positive and negative) to share on one or more of the topics of age, gender, and global cultural diversity.