for the Preservation of Samples & Cores
Committee for the Preservation of Samples & Cores Meeting Minutes (click on date to see the minutes):
4/5/2001 Conference Call of AAPG Committee for the Preservation of Cores and Samples
The following members participated in the conference call April 5, 2001, 3:00 to 4:15 p.m.: Edie Allison, Marv Carlson, Doug Patchen, Bob Horton, and Sherilyn Williams-Stroud.
* Edie reported that the AAUW policy statement on Preservation of Geological and Geophysical Data, approved by the Executive Committee in December, 2000, is on the Division of Professional Affairs web site (click on "official Position Statements")
* Doug reported that the Advisory Committee had identified our committee as one "member enhancement activity" and Don Lewis has been appointed to report back to the AC on what they can do to help us. No one came up with any suggestions.
* Marv and Sherilyn will investigate the possibility of chairing or hosting a "core" session at the 2002 national meeting in Houston.
* We need to update the web site. Does it have the article by Scott Montgomery? Link to policy statement? Show mission statement as final not draft.
* We need to encourage AGI to update the news on the NGDRS web site.
* Development of a fact sheet on core disposal regulations was discussed. Marv suggested that we need to interact with the council of state regulatory officials of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Comm. We decided the fact sheet development should be a topic at the Denver meeting
2) The National Research Council Study of Preservation of Geoscience Data and Collections held its initial meeting April 6 - 8, 2001. The Study is chaired by Christopher G. Maples, Professor of the Department of Geological Sciences, Indiana University, Bloomington. At least four of the ten people on the panel are members of AAPG, suggesting good representation of the petroleum sector. During the open sessions, sponsoring organizations, Department of Energy, US Geological Survey, American Geological Institute, AAPG, and National Science Foundation described the scope of their interest in data preservation and their expectations from the study. In addition, NASA, Joint Oceanographic Institutions, the Library of Congress, and the members of the committee spoke on aspects of geoscience data and its preservation. In closed session, the committee discussed the scope, audience and schedule of the study. The meeting also included a visit to the Smithsonian.
Agenda Committee on Preservation of Cores and Samples
Monday, June 4, 2001, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Gold Coin Room, Marriott City Center Hotel
* National Research Council Study of Geoscience Data and Collections - Chris Maples, Chairman (invited)
* American Geological Institute on Future Plans for National Geoscience Data Repository System (NGDRS) - Marcus Milling (invited)
* How this committee could work with AGI and other groups on Future Directions for GeoTrek - Sheilyn Williams-Stroud
* Development of a fact sheet on core disposal regulations
* A state regularoty official (Marv)
* Core appraisal (Edie)
* Appalachian region rules (Doug)
* New State Repositories - examples of increased capacity and/or new services, Ohio and/or Kentucky (Doug)
* Tim Carr has offered to speak on "Disseminating core and other geologic data"
4) Continuing Committee membership
According to my records, the following individuals' term of membership on this committee is ending at the end of June this year. Please notify me as soon as possible whether you wish to remain on the committee. If you do not, please recommend someone that you believe would be interested in working with this committee.
|John H Edwards III||Richard E. Larese||Doug Patchen|
|Steven Maurice||Julie Le Fever||William John Purves|
|Robert C. Hulse||Carol Martiniuk||James William Schmoker|
April 19, 2001
Minutes: Committee on Core and Sample
June 4, 2001, Denver, Colorado
The committee met from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., Monday, June 4, 2001 in the Gold Coin Room, Marriott City Center Hotel, Denver, Colorado. Highlights of the reports and discussion:
Comments from the committee regarding Geotrek: the AGI needs to do more to publicize its accomplishments; this committee should work with AGI to update the directory of repositories; the Geotrek user interface is too slow and requires the user to know the type of data needed rather than providing all data for a location; greater interaction between AGI and the state repositories and regulatory agencies is encouraged.
The committee encourages AGI to increase communication with public/state repositories, perhaps through a periodic newsletter. This could contribute to increased the amounts of data being provided to AGI. Communication of lessons learned and best practices would also help states that are starting to automate their data.
Edie Allison, Marvin Carlson,
Doug Patchen, Bob Hulse, Marcus Milling, Christopher Keane, Chris Maples, Dan
Halgerson, Bill Ellington, Tony Kolodzoij, Sherilyn Williams-Stroud, Chuck Noll,
Don Lewis, Larry Knauer, Julie LeFever, Bill Gwilliam, and Tim Carr.