AAPG International Regions Committee
4:00-5:30 p.m., April 8, 2006 * Houston, Texas * Hilton Americas
PDF of this report
Welcome and Introductions*
- Carlos Abreu, President, AAPG Latin America Region
- Deborah Ajakaiye, President, AAPG Africa Region
- John Brooks, President, AAPG European Region President and IRC General Co-Chair
- Chuck Caughey, IRC Vice Chair for Education and Training
- Bob Countryman, Liaison for AAPG Oversight Committee
- Brenda Cunningham, AAPG Global Development Director
- Theresa Curry, AAPG International Conference Coordinator
- Dana Patterson Free, AAPG International Liaison and Conferences Manager
- Rick Fritz, AAPG Executive Director
- John Hogg, AAPG Canada Region (representing Warren Workman, President, AAPG Canada Region)
- Peter Kahn, IRC Member, IRC Vice Chair of Communication Strategies
- John Kaldi, IRC General Co-Chair
- Joe Lambiase, AAPG Asia-Pacific Region (representing Herman Darman, President, AAPG Asia-Pacific Region)
- David Lange, AAPG Business Director
- Debra Nishida,
- Claudia Rassi, IRC Vice Chair for U.S.-Based International Members
- Steve Veal, AAPG Vice President
Letter re: Russia to HOD Resolution Committee – Kald
Regional Offices Update – Fritz
- Decentralization of AAPG
- A London office has been tentatively approved as an experiment, overseen by Steve Veal, AAPG Vice President and the AAPG Executive Committee’s International Liaison, who has recently moved to London. A business plan is being finalized now – May 15 is the goal to open it. The AAPG EC has not voted on, but if they approve it, Europe’s business model will be distributed to other regions for their reference.
- AAPG is also considering offices in:
- Bahrain – the GEO conference is held every two years and profits/surplus/income from GEO would support the office.
- Moscow (shared with SEG). Why are we looking at opening two offices in the European Region? The idea/offer is being driven by SEG – this is a window of opportunity. Rick requested feedback from the IRC.
- Southeast Asia – Kuala Lumpur? Hong Kong? Rick requested feedback.
- The model has worked for SPE – providing services locally to cover office expenses, develop membership, serve students, etc. There are no plans at this time to open offices in Latin America or Africa, but Rick would welcome written formal proposals from both regions. We need to strategically review our model, design a solid business plan, and consider many options before we move forward – even an office in Houston should be considered.
Role of IRC (Mission Statement: is this who/what we are/want to be?) -- Kaldi
- We need to include specific guidelines about communication.
- We need to define how international regions are supposed to coordinate among themselves, as well as operate individually.
- It should represent membership rather than just promote membership – a liaison, a representative body comprised of the Regions’ leadership.
- Some ideas:
- Represent international development honors and awards, leadership, increase and enhance membership services, benefits
- Promote AAPG as an organization internationally
- Grow and retain members
- Interface/interact with other committees for the benefit of the association
- Nominate or recommend candidates for the VP Regions office.
- The new Vice President, Regions (if approved) would become part of the IRC and would be the liaison.
- Peter Kahn will chair the Committee in charge of rewriting the Mission Statement.
Role of Vice-Chairs – Kaldi
- Caughey’s role (Vice Chair of Education and Training): Visiting Geoscientist Program, Distinguished Lectures, and international student chapters
- Kahn’s role (Vice Chair of Communication Strategies): develop links between regions and between regions and HQ, and direct development and maintenance of the IRC Web site
- Rassi’s role (Vice Chair of U.S.-Based International Members): provide a support system for expats in the U.S.
- The IRC should include the Chairs of the ICE (International Conference and Exhibition Committee) and Outreach Committee.
Membership Update – Fritz
- Refer to three handouts “AAPG Member Statement,” “World Bank Analytical Classifications,” and “Elite – Or Just Hard to Join? Why Isn’t AAPG Growing Globally?”
- Halliburton has declined to continue to sponsor student member dues and we’re looking for a new sponsor. Schlumberger has been approached.
- One of the roles of the House of Delegates is to follow up on membership.
Increasing International Representation: Committees/HOD – Kaldi
- Refer to handout “AAPG Regions HoD Entitlement/Attendance (from Donna Riggs)”
- The International Regions need to stress the importance of HOD representatives attending the HOD meeting at the Annual Convention. If the HOD rep cannot attend, the alternates should be contacted; if the alternates cannot attend, another Region member should be found. These efforts could be facilitated by the new AAPG Regions and Sections Coordinator (to be hired).
International Visiting Geologist/Distinguished Lecture Program – Caughey
- Caughey moved (Kahn seconded) that each Region nominate a local Region coordinator to contact universities, make arrangements, and be the Region’s liaison for the VGP and DL. Until the Region President appoints a coordinator and advises Caughey, the President will be the coordinator. The motion passed unanimously.
- Each International Region President will advise Caughey of the VGP/DL coordinator in their Region.
- Caughey encouraged IRC members to find broader, global representation -- join the VGP!
Regional Cooperation with Sections – Thematic Meetings – Brooks
- Ask the Coordinating Committee for the 2007 Annual Convention to include an international session?
Business Practice Involving NOCs – Brooks
- The Corporate Liaison Committee would be a good source of information.
- Africa – Ajakaiye: Refer to handout. Kaldi asked Ajakaiye to put her proposal(s) in written form, to discuss (via email) in advance of the next HOD meeting.
- Latin America – Abreu: They are taking part in small events to promote AAPG – small gifts would be helpful when he visits students (ask Mike Mlynek to contact Carlos about this). Student sponsorship is important.
Any Other Business
- Kaldi will speak at the HOD meeting tomorrow to express the IRC’s position (as was unanimously voted at the IRC meeting in February 2006 in Galveston) in support of the new AAPG Vice President, Regions.
- Veal suggested a one-page sheet on AAPG, translated in several languages such as Spanish, Russian, and Chinese. Fritz stated that we already have a sheet in Spanish and Chinese and the Russian translation is in progress.
Next IRC Meeting
- The next IRC meeting will be during the 2006 AAPG International Conference and Exhibition in Perth, Australia, November 5-8. Everyone was advised to keep their travel schedules as flexible as possible. A date for the meeting was not confirmed, but it may be on Saturday, November 4.