The Society of Exploration Geophysicists seeks an executive director to lead a staff of approximately 100 and manage an annual budget of approximately $25M. SEG is a 32,000-member association headquartered in Tulsa, OK, with regional offices in Beijing and Dubai. The organization includes a foundation and three subsidiaries, and the executive director has responsibilities associated with each of those components. The successful candidate will have sufficient experience to manage an organization of SEG’s size and complexity, be able to travel globally and conduct international business, and work effectively across cultures in a volunteer-led organization.
The position requires a familiarity with finance and complex corporate structures, specifically subsidiaries and affiliates, and related accounting and governance requirements.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. The executive director:
- Maintains effective staff organization, morale, and performance to assure service to members.
- Oversees the adequacy and soundness of the organization’s financial structure.
- Reviews operating results of the organization, compares them to established objectives, and ensures appropriate measures are taken to optimize results.
- Establishes and maintains an effective system of communication throughout the organization.
- Contributes to development of current and long-range objectives, plans, and policies, subject to board-of-directors approval.
- Represents the organization with members, the petroleum industry, and the general public.
- Travels extensively, domestically and internationally, to SEG events, conferences, and exhibitions.
The executive director reports directly to the SEG president and a board of directors installed through annual elections. The position is in Tulsa, OK, at the SEG Business Office.
- BS in a technical field and 8-10 years relevant experience, MS or MBA a plus.
- Strong financial and budgeting skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from SEG members, regulatory agencies, news organizations, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Excellent diplomacy and communication skills (verbal and written).
Please e-mail a letter detailing interest, qualifications, and salary requirements and a résumé with references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by 1 November 2014 will receive full consideration; the position will remain open until filled. SEG is an equal opportunity employer.