David Rensink, Chair
The AAPG Nominating Committee, a sub-committee of the Advisory Council, is responsible for recommending a list of nominees for AAPG office to the Executive Committee for its approval each year. The deadline for nominations is 6 February 2014. Nominations received after 6 February will be held for next year’s consideration.
The Nominating Committee will consider candidates in the Spring 2014 for President-Elect serving 2015-16, President 2016-17; Vice-President for Regions 2015-17; and Secretary 2015-17.
We urge you to take the following steps when determining your nominations for the various offices:
Review the job descriptions and duties:
President-Elect and President - CEO responsibilities, substantial amount of travel, six year time commitment (1) as candidate, (2) as officer, (3) on Advisory Council), must possess excellent communication skills, shall prepare annual report and a monthly column for the Explorer as President, overseas activities and health of Sections and Regions. Position requires decisiveness and ability to delegate effectively.
President-Elect - The President-Elect shall serve for one (1) year as such and in the following year shall assume the office of President. The President-Elect shall have no administrative authority except as a member of the Executive Committee; shall become acquainted with all the details of the office of President, and generally become prepared to serve as President. The President-Elect shall be responsible for the preparation of the budget for the ensuing fiscal year for approval by the Executive Committee
President - The President shall be the chief executive officer of this Association. The President shall be spokesman for the Association on all matters pertaining to the public; shall appoint the members of all committees within the limits prescribed in the Constitution and Bylaws; shall appoint delegates to cooperating organizations to represent the Association; and shall serve as chairman of the Executive Committee.
MAKE A NOMINATION
Vice President, Regions: The Vice President, Regions shall serve for two years and perform such duties as assigned by the President which may include assisting with the Honors and Awards portion of the opening session at the Annual Meeting, committee oversight, and other tasks assigned by the Executive Committee. The Vice President, Regions shall be concerned with the activities of the Association with respect to International Regions. During the second year of the term, the Vice President, Regions shall perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of the President to serve and shall assume the office of President in case of a vacancy for any cause in that office.
MAKE A NOMINATION
Secretary - The Secretary shall serve for two years and be responsible for recording the actions of the Executive Committee; shall keep possession of the corporate seal and affix the same; and, subject to Executive Committee approval, shall have policy oversight of all non-technical and non-peer reviewed publications and communications. The Secretary shall perform other duties as may be directed by the Executive Committee.
MAKE A NOMINATION
We ask that you please submit your recommendations on the form(s) provided. These forms are intended to bring greater uniformity and consistency to the nomination process and will ease the task of submitting nominations. Return completed forms to Linda Burris, AAPG, P.O. Box 979, Tulsa, OK 74101 by 6 February 2014. Nominations received after 6 February will be held for next year’s officer nominations.
Candidates will be considered for no more than three years unless re-nominated.
To submit a nomination please consider the following:
- It should be made clear to the person being nominated that a nomination does not ensure candidacy.
- The person making the nomination must acquire the nominee’s permission to submit his/her name and determine if he/she is willing to serve if elected, as evidenced by the nominees’ signature on the Commitment Statement by Potential Candidates form which must be submitted with the nomination form. Go to Forms
- The potential nominee should be informed of the level of commitment the office requires. Candidates are encouraged to attend the annual meeting and international conference and exhibition, plus section and region meetings in addition to the annual leadership conference. If elected, they will have a minimum of four Executive Committee meetings to attend, some of which would coincide with other AAPG meetings. Historically, Executive Committee meetings have been as numerous as ten per year, plus several teleconferences.
- The potential nominee should be informed that an officer candidate will be allowed an expense reimbursement to attend AAPG meetings, with the exception of attendance at the annual meeting and the candidate’s section/region meeting as set forth below. However, expenses will not be reimbursed if the candidate’s employer covers travel expenses. This reimbursement policy will apply to the President-Elect, Vice President, Sections/Regions, Secretary, Treasurer, Editor and Chairman-Elect of the House of Delegates as follows:
- President-Elect – up to $12,500
- Chairman-Elect of the House of Delegates – up to $12,500
- Section/Region Vice Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer and Editor – up to $6,000
- Because the availability of nominees may change, it is expected that the potential candidate will inform the Chair of the Nominating Committee as soon as possible if new circumstances cause a candidates inability to stand for office.
- The Bylaws (Article II, Section 13) require that one person cannot hold two specified offices at the same time and have other limitations (Article II, Section 14) on candidacy.
The forms are provided for “AAPG Officer Nominations” and the “Commitment Statement for AAPG Office.”
On behalf of the leadership, we thank you for your support of the Association.