Committee: Nomination & Election
Born: 1961, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
After several years of active participation within the AAPG Canada Region and the HoD, it is an honor to be asked by the Nominating Committee to stand as a Chair-Elect candidate for the House. I am fully committed and embrace the challenge to serve our Delegates.
The AAPG is a key part of my professional career, and in “repayment” to AAPG for its contribution to my personal success I take great pleasure in giving back to the Association through serving on various committees and leadership positions within AAPG. In all instances, I have been inspired by the high caliber of AAPG’s members and each and everyone’s commitment to bettering the Association. Every year, as committee work wraps up and we head to the yearly HoD meeting, I am delighted to see the significant contributions we, as engaged members, can make.
The Association has many challenges, be it the shift in membership demographics, growth within the Regions or competition from other societies. I feel that the outstanding success the AAPG is experiencing with programs like the Imperial Barrel Award (IBA) is an excellent example of how we can continue to keep the AAPG an “indispensable” organization for future geologists. Through personal experience with the IBA, I know that it is an effective vehicle for attracting the next generation of global geologists into our Association. Once they are aware of the value AAPG offers, they naturally become engaged and passionate about serving the AAPG and more than willing to take an active role in wherever they can help. We, as long-time members, just need to be there to guide them.
As always, I welcome the opportunity to serve the House of Delegates in any way I can and welcome the opportunity to serve in this leadership capacity if elected.
Academic Degree and Certifications
- 1985 University of Alberta - B.Sc. (Specialization Geology)
- 1987 Registered Professional Geologist – Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- 2009-Present. Team Lead, Global Exploration, Nexen Petroleum International Co.
- 2004-2009 Team Lead, Global New Ventures, Talisman Energy Inc.
- 1998-2004 Staff Geologist, International New Ventures, EnCana Corporation.
- 1991-1998 Senior Geologist, International Exploration, PanCanadian Petroleum Ltd.
- 1985-1991 Geologist, Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB), Calgary
- 2008-2011 AAPG Canada Region President
- 2011-2013 AAPG Canada Region Past-President
- 2008-2011 Canada Region Imperial Barrel Award Coordinator
- 2010 General Vice Co-Chair / Sponsorship Chair, Calgary 2010 ICE
- 2012-2015 AAPG Membership Coordination and Communication Committee
- 2011-2012 Chair HoD Credentials Committee
- 2010-2011 Chair, HoD Nominations and Elections Committee
- 2008-2009 Chair, HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2007-2008 Vice-Chair, HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2008-2011 International Regions Committee
- 2008-2011 Student Chapter Committee
- 2008-2009 Canada Region Advisory Council Designated Alternate
- 2007-2015 HoD Delegate
- EMD Member
- AAPG Member Since 2001
AAPG Honors and Awards
- 2012 Distinguished Service Award
- 2010, 2011 AAPG Certificate of Merit
- 2010 Imperial Barrel Award Certificate of Appreciation
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists (CSPG) – AAPG Affiliated Society
- 2000 Technical Committee, GeoCanada 2000 Millennium Summit Conference
- 1997-2004 International Division Technical Talk Host
- 1990 Logistics Committee, CSPG Convention
- 1990 Development Geology Division Technical Talk Coordinator