Committee: Nomination & Election
Born: 1964, Sandusky, Ohio
I would like to thank the HoD Nominating Committee, the current officers and members of the HoD for this honor.
As a junior at the University of Toledo, I joined AAPG. At the time, I wasn’t sure why, just seemed like the right thing to do as I come from a family of “joiners”. Certainly as a student member, I was a bit on the sidelines of AAPG, “watching the action”, but also trying to learn and determine where my place within AAPG might lie. What I have learned is you need to make your own place within AAPG, or any organization for that matter. If you want to be part of the greater experience, you need to get involved.
Twenty years ago, I started my consulting career; initially out of necessity, as I had found myself unemployed and looking for “something to do” until I found a “real job”. Twenty years later, you might argue I am still looking for a “real job”. Throughout that time, AAPG has been important in my career … as a source of technical information, as a networking vehicle, as an outlet for volunteerism and much more. A couple years ago I had the honor and opportunity to be the treasurer of the Division of Professional Affairs and I look forward to continuing my AAPG volunteerism within the HoD.
AAPG’s strength is its affiliated societies and the sections and regions. I have held numerous posts within the Pittsburgh Association of Petroleum Geologists and the Eastern Section of the AAPG, including president of both organizations. I feel this experience will aid in my efforts to further serve AAPG as the Secretary-Editor of the HoD.
- 1986, Bachelor of Science Degree in Geology, University of Toledo
- 1989, Master of Science Degree in Geology, West Virginia University
- 1989-1990 Geologist, Mark Resources Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 1990-1992 Project Geologist, Eastern States Exploration Company, Snow Shoe, PA.
- 1992-1993 Assistant Geologist II, Michael Baker Jr., Inc., Beaver, PA.
- 1993-present President/Geologist, Billman Geologic Consultants, Inc., Mars, PA.
AAPG Affiliated Society Activities
- 1994-1996 Treasurer, Pittsburgh Association of Petroleum Geologists
- 1997-1999 President, Pittsburgh Association of Petroleum Geologists
- 2004-2005 Vice-President, Pittsburgh Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Member of AAPG affiliated societies: Pittsburgh Association of Petroleum Geologists, Pittsburgh Geological Society, Ohio Geological Society, Appalachian Geological Society and Ontario Petroleum Institute
Other Geologic Society Activities
- 2010-present Elected Member of the Board of Directors, Pennsylvania Council of Professional Geologists
- AAPG Member since 1985
- AAPG Certified Petroleum Geologist #5933
- Division of Environmental Geosciences charter member
- Energy Minerals Division member
- 1998-2001 AAPG Membership Committee
- 2003-2005 AAPG Membership Enhancement & Development Ad Hoc Committee
- 2003-present HoD Delegate
- 2004-2005 Treasurer, Eastern Section
- 2005-2008 AAPG Student Chapters Committee
- 2005-2006 Secretary, Eastern Section
- 2006-2007 Vice-President, Eastern Section
- 2007-2008 President, Eastern Section
- 2009-present HoD Honors and Awards Committee
- 2009-2010 DPA Councilor
- 2010-2012 DPA Treasurer
AAPG and Affiliated Societies Honors and Awards
- 1998 Vincent E. Nelson Memorial Best Poster Award, Eastern Section AAPG Meeting., Laughery, C.D., Billman, D.A. and Canich, M.R., Facies Architecture of Lowstand Transgressive and Highstand Tracts in the Upper Devonian Lock Haven Formation, Council Run Field, North-Central Pennsylvania
- 1999 PAPG Appreciation of Service Award
- 2008 AAPG Certificate of Merit
- 2009 Eastern Section AAPG, Distinguished Service Award
- 2010 HoD 9 Year Certificate of Service