HOD Officer Candidates
Chevron/CABGOC- Earth Science Mentor in Angola
Born: 1955, Burlington, New Jersey
I am honored to be a candidate for the HoD Secretary/Editor and want to thank the Nominating Committee for providing me this opportunity to serve. It is also important to mention that the recent HoD editors have improved The Delegates’ Voice and if elected I intend to continue this trend.
I joined the AAPG in 1980 which is the same year I graduated from college and began working for Chevron (previously Gulf Oil) in Bakersfield, California. The AAPG has been instrumental in my career development as a geologist and want our organization to continue to meet the needs of its members in the United States and around the world. If elected as Secretary/Editor, I will perform my duties with enthusiasm and insight bringing our members and committees closer together with a spirit of collaboration as we work towards our goals.
I currently work in a rotational assignment as an Earth Science Mentor to Angolan nationals in Cabinda (Angola) and also provide earth science support for Chevron’s offshore concession. When I return to the United States, on my time off every other month, I can attend meetings and devote as much time as is needed to HoD responsibilities. Handling the Secretary/Editor duties remotely, when in Angola, is no problem since I have the support of my employer and some options for travel.
Prior to this assignment, I have had a broad spectrum of geoscience positions at Chevron, including Subsurface Team Leader & Earth Science Advisor for Business Development in the Middle East (Iraq); Team Leader to Chevron’s Energy Technology Co. managing various technical teams in shallow marine stratigraphy (clastics & carbonates), geostatistics, and reservoir modeling; leading and working in numerous groups such as New Ventures Southeast Asia (Bangladesh, Thailand, India, Pakistan), onshore China (Shengli), south Texas (Laredo-Lobo), Alaska’s North Slope, Chukchi Sea, Bering Sea, CA, OR, WA, and Gulf of Mexico.
I have been a longstanding Active Member of the AAPG as well as the Northern California Geological Society, SEPM & SEG.
Rusty Gilbert CV
- Academic Degrees and Certifications:
- M.S. Geology, 1980, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- B.S. Geology, 1977, with honors, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- Licensed Professional Geoscientist of Texas, #1723
- Recent Publications as main author:
- SEG, Special Publication Reservoir Geophysics II, 2010, Integrating Various Data at Appropriate Scales & a similar publication in SEG’s 2004 Leading Edge
- AAPG Committees & Appointments:
- HoD Rules & Procedures Committee from 2009 to 2011
- HoD Northern California Geological Society from 2006 to present, 1988 to 1990, and Alternate 2004 to 2006