World Wide Student Expo Opportunities
Each year, across the United States and Europe, there are convened Student EXPOS for undergraduate and graduate students from a myriad of universities. The students have an opportunity to network with one another, and with representatives from industry, as they display and explain project posters and participate in interviews that often lead to internships and/or regular employment. Accompanying the EXPOS are field trips, short courses and tours of company facilities.
Following are several examples:
- The 2010 AAPG/SEG EXPO held in Houston, Texas on September 20th and 21st included industry representatives from 28 companies. There were 385 registered students. Cash awards were presented for three outstanding student posters: first and third place went to the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa; and second place went to Rice University in Houston, Texas. Three field trips and two short courses were also offered. Dates for the 2011 EXPO are September 8th and 9th.
- The 2011 AAPG/SEG Spring Break EXPO was held on March 10th and 11th at The University of Oklahoma in Norman. This EXPO was hosted by the University’s Sarkey Energy Center, the ConocoPhillips School of Geology and Geophysics, and the Oklahoma Geological Survey. Dates for the 2012 EXPO are yet to be determined.
- The 2010 Rocky Mountain Rendezvous had 17 companies and about 220 students. There were two field trips and four short courses. Dates for 2011 are tentatively set for September 30th through October 3rd at the University of Wyoming in Laramie.
- The 2010 SJQ hosted 30 students with ten posters and three companies. This year’s EXPO will be held in Arlington, Virginia on September 24th and 25th.
- The 2010 AAPG/SEG West Coast Student EXPO took place at California State University at Northridge from September 30th through October 1st. There were four sponsoring companies. There were 76 student participants that came from 23 schools in five states, and France; they comprised 29 bachelor, 42 master and six doctoral candidates. Resumes were submitted by 55 students, and posters were prepared by 22. Posters were judged under two categories: geology and geophysics. Each category received four awards. This year’s EXPO will be held from October 13th through the 15th.
- The three-day 1st International Geosciences Student Conference was held in Bucharest, Romania in mid-year 2010. The entire conference was arranged by students from Romania, Moldavia, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Italy, Belgium, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Canada, USA, United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia. There were 388 registrants of which 243 were students. During the International and National Symposiums, students made 85 oral and 24 poster presentations. Student interviews were conducted by industry representatives and there was a good exchange of information and ideas. At the end of the conference, 50 students took part in a field trip to Buzau County where they studied turbidites, salt structures and mud volcanoes.
If you have questions, or need more information, about Student Expos please feel free to contact me, or Mike Mlynek at AAPG Headquarters.