HoD Officer CandidateS
Consultant, Energy Analysis and Answers
(Recently retired J.R. Simplot Company, Boise, Idaho)
Born 1944, Duncan, Oklahoma
I consider it an honor to be nominated as a candidate for the position of Chair-Elect for the AAPG House of Delegates. It has been my privilege to serve my affiliated society and all AAPG members as a delegate for over twenty years. During that time I have served on numerous HoD Committees, including chairing Constitution and Bylaws twice and the Honors and Awards Committee. I was pleased to receive the Long Service Award a few years ago. I joined AAPG as a graduate student in 1969. If possible, I am more enthusiastic now about our organization, its mission and importance than I was then.
The truth is all of us who serve on committees or run for office do not do it for recognition, honors, or notice. We serve out of an appreciation for what AAPG has done for us personally and for our noble profession. We serve because we have all watched others give back in terms of their time and fortune to make this a stronger organization in order to preserves its relevancy. When asked, it is a duty to which we all need to respond. I have served under outstanding HoD Chairpersons like Terry Hollrah, Larry Jones, Don Clarke, Marty Hewitt and George Bole who have labored tirelessly to expand the transparency of the HoD decision-making process. Together with our committees we have analyzed and brought forward widely accepted legislation changing the dues and representation structure of AAPG. I believe the HoD is truly the representative voice of all members where thoughts and ideas are received, heard and turned into legislation to be addressed by all those assembled at the Annual Meeting.
I can remember when our Annual Meeting was an all day affair before Ed Dolly and a few others decided we could improve the organization of this meeting and conduct our business with status reports in a more timely fashion. Communicating with all Delegates throughout the year, not just before the Annual Meeting, is the key to continuing to improve our business session. I serve on numerous AAPG Committees, but perhaps the most important function I fill is that of managing our five membership committees which are chaired and staffed by very able members. In that capacity I report to the HoD Chairperson and the President. Our efforts are complimentary to the membership growth responsibilities chairpersons Hewitt and Bole have asked each delegate to assume. As a corporate body the House has always exercised sound judgment when fully and fairly informed. I am honored to have been, and hopefully will continue to be, a small part of the good work the House does in representing the best interests of our Association and geologists worldwide.
- 1967 B.S., Geology, University of Idaho
- 1970 M.S., Geology, University of Oklahoma
- Idaho, Registered Professional Geologist, 466
- 2007-Pres. Consultant, Energy Analysis & Answers, Boise
- 1984-2007 Director, Energy Natural Resources, J.R. Simplot Company (Boise, Idaho) All energy related activities, exploration, production, legal, regulatory, utilities, hydro, conservation (Retired 1-2007)
- 1983 Consultant, Boise
- 1981-1983 Senior Vice President, Exploration & Production, Horn Resources Corporation, Denver and Boise
- 1980-1981 Vice President, Exploration, Sundance Oil Company, Denver
- 1973-1980 Vice President and General Manager, IGC Production Company, an exploration and production sister company to Intermountain Gas Company, a public utility for all of Southern Idaho, and a manager for Intermountain Gas, Boise
- 1972-1973 Exploration Geologist, Tenneco, Denver
- 1970-1972 Exploration Geologist, Atlantic Richfield Oil & Gas, Dallas and Lafayette
- 1999-2004 Chairman of the Board, Remington Oil and Gas
- 1979-1997 President, Cornucopia Placers, Boise
- 2007 Member, Board of Directors, Intrepid Technology & Resources Inc.
- 2008-Pres. HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2008-Pres. Credentials Committee
- 2008-Pres. GEO-DC Board of Governors
- 2008-Pres. Committee Oversight
- 2008-Pres. Manager, Membership Committee
- 1969-Pres. Member, EMD & DEG
- 1984-1994 & 1997 to present: House of Delegates, Delegate (Idaho Assoc. of Professional Geologists)
- 2004-2007 HoD Constitution & Bylaws Committee; Chair 05-07, Vice Chair 04-05
- 2002-2004 HoD Honors & Awards Committee; Chair 03-04
- 2005-Pres. Public Outreach Committee; Vice Chair (present)
- 2005-Pres. Membership Planning Committee
- 1982-2005 Membership Committee 1980s-1990s Government Affairs Instant Response Committee
- 2000-2001 HoD ad hoc Visions Committee Various AAPG Annual and Section Meetings Judge, Presenter and Session Chair
Affiliated and Associated Societies and Sections and Major Offices Held
- 2003-2004 Rocky Mountain Section President
- 2001-2003 RMS Secretary/Treasurer; President-Elect RMS ad hoc Committee on Meetings
- 1987 RMS Annual Meeting General Chair
- 1974-Pres. Member, Idaho Association of Professional Geologists
- 1977 President, Idaho Association of Professional Geologists
- 1976 IAPG Southwest Area Chair
- 1973-Pres. Member, Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists
- 1971-1972 Member, Lafayette Geological Society
AAPG Honors and Awards
- 2007 House of Delegates Long Service Award
- 2004 AAPG Certificate of Merit; President, Rocky Mountain Section
Numerous public lectures on energy and the oil and gas industry, including economics, transportation, distribution and generation.
Numerous public interviews and testimony before judicial, regulatory and legislative bodies.