Letter from the Chair-Elect
Settling into my seat, at 38,000 feet, on the return flight from the August 2007 Leadership Conference at Keystone, CO, I started to reflect on HoD obligations incumbent upon me, as your Vice-Chair. Several epiphanies came to mind:
- A desire to attend certain section meeting HoD breakfasts with Marty in order to support him and his assigned responsibilities from the Executive Committee;
- The need to introduce myself, at these breakfasts to those delegates who’ve not met me, as their HoD Vice-Chair;
- To encourage members (AAPG) to ask questions and share ideas: questions about Association activities; and ideas that will help move AAPG forward in its strategic plan direction; and
- An obligation to facilitate a meaningful stream of information among the House, Executive Committee, Advisory Council and Association members.
These things I intend to do.
Several new initiatives involving House activities may arise this coming fiscal year:
- The need to re-define membership categories which will involve changes to the Association By-laws; and
- The establishment of a graduated dues category for Academia.
The Executive Committee has made a commitment to membership growth and stability for the coming year. To that end, the House will put forth a “grass roots” effort on the part of all members to sustain/support/manage membership growth.
Marty has been charged with a “bodacious” responsibility for this “grass roots” effort; I will be “joined at the hip” with Marty in order to help effect a successful outcome.
Please feel free to pass your ideas/suggestions to me firstname.lastname@example.org. However, note something like “HOD Stuff” on the subject line. I don’t open e-mail from addressees I don’t recognize.
Here’s to a successful year!