Honors and Awards
The purpose of the Honors & Awards Committee is to recommend members of the House to receive special awards for service to the House of Delegates. The Committee supplies names for award consideration and encourages the participation of all delegates in the award nomination process. The Committee considers nominee qualification and selects by vote those members to be recommended to the HoD Chair for approval. If approved, they are honored at the next AAPG Annual meeting.
HoD Honors & Award forms are available online at: http://.aapg.org/business/hod/awards/. Once an online nomination form is completed, the information is forwarded to the current Honors & Awards Committee Chair.
The Honors & Awards Committee is pleased to announce the 2007 Awardees recommended and approved by October 31, 2006:
Honorary Member of the House:
- Ed Dolly, Rocky Mountain – Denver, CO
Distinguished Member of the House:
- Carroll Kinney, Mid-Continent – Edmond, OK
- Bob Cowdery, Mid-Continent – Wichita, KA
House Long Service:
- David Hawk, Rocky Mountain. – Boise, ID 20 Years
- James Ragsdale, Gulf Coast – Houston, TX 2 0Years
- Patrick Gordon, Gulf Coast – Houston, TX 19 Years
- William Howell, Gulf Coast – Houston, TX 21 Years
The Honors & Awards Committee proposes a change to the Rules and Procedures governing the granting of the House Long Service Award. The House Long Service Award is described in the Rules & Procedures as follows:
III. COMMITTEES AND THEIR DUTIES
g. The Honors and Awards Committee
- House Long Service Award -- Presented in recognition of persons who have served as Delegates for a minimum of four terms and have, in addition, taken an active role in the affairs of the House. Annual presentation is not required and there shall be no limitation of the number of annual recipients.
The committee discovered a large number of Delegates that have served 4 terms or longer (12 years or more) are eliminated from consideration by a stipulation in the Rules & Procedures requiring service as a delegate within the previous 5 years (see item 2 below). The Committee will propose that this item be struck from the Rules & Procedures at this year’s Annual meeting of the House of Delegates.
Rules and Procedures for Granting Awards
- All awards shall be given only to recognize persons for their service to the House of Delegates.
- Only a person who has served as a Delegate within the previous five (5) years may receive an award.
- The Honors and Awards Committee shall prepare the title and description of, and qualifications for, an award proposed by the committee to be established and shall forward the same to the Rules and Procedures Committee of the House of Delegates to be processed as set forth in subsection A.1.c of this Section III. An award will be presented in the years after the year the award is established.
- All awards shall be established by amendment to these Rules and Procedures.
- No HoD Honors and Awards Committee member shall receive an HoD award while serving on that Committee.
In the spirit of encouraging involvement in the House, the Honors & Awards Committee felt it necessary to honor all Delegates who qualify with a Certificate of Service after serving 3 terms, ( 9 years) and 5 terms (15 years) as Delegates to the HoD. The wording below will be presented to the House at this years meeting for your approval.
Add to R&P III.A.1.g.
Certificates of Service—Presented in recognition of 9 years and 15 years service as a Delegate are to be automatically issued annually to Delegates reaching those milestones. The years of service are cumulative and do not have to be consecutive terms or full 3-year terms. All years of service as a Delegate will count toward these milestones. Certificates of Service are not subject to the “Rules and Procedures for Granting Awards”.
I wish to give my sincere appreciation to all of the members of the Honors & Awards Committee who made all of this possible via e-mail, phone, and “pony express”. You made this job a joy and a fun committee to be a part of.
2006-2007 Honors & Awards Committee
- Mark Rainer, Chair, Southwest, Dallas, TX
- Larry Wickstrom, Vice-Chair, Eastern – Columbus, OH
- John Griffin, Mid-Continent – Lincoln, NE
- Bob Phelps, Canada – Calgary, AB
- Bill Houston, Rocky Mountain – Denver, CO
- Michael Hauck, Europe – Kassel, Germany
- Royce Carr, Gulf Coast – Mount Pleasant, TX
- Deborah Sacrey, Gulf Coast – Houston, TX
- Bob Lindblom, Pacific – Menlo Park, CA
- Sarfaraz Siddiqui, Asia-Pacific – Islamabad, Pakistan
- Cesar Ardiles, Latin America – Lima, Peru