Are You Being Served?
One of the purposes of AAPG as stated in the Constitution is ”…to advance the professional well-being of its members”. Toward that end, and in keeping with AAPG’s goal of providing its members with the services they need to manage their careers, AAPG has developed a number of programs to serve the members. Some are covered with annual dues and some cost an extra fee, but all are done with the member in mind. Yet many do not take advantage of these services. So, the question at hand is, are you being served?
To help you decide, here is a list of the services that are available to you.
- Continuing Education (available to companies, groups, and individuals)
- Division of Professional Affairs offers three specialty certifications.
- Certified Petroleum Geologist
- Certified Petroleum Geophysicist
- Certified Coal Geologist
- Division of Environmental Geosciences
- Energy Minerals Division
- Distinguished Lecturers (touring worldwide)
- Foundation Energy Resources Library (tailored searches and photocopy services)
- Regional meetings (great opportunity to volunteer)
- Annual and International Conventions with exhibits of latest technologies (excellent time and place for learning and networking)
- APPEX London (prospect and property expo)
- Honors and Awards Program - recognizes contributions of its own but also includes non-members such as Teacher of the Year, authors, speakers, journalists and special commendations.
- Bulletin – monthly scientific journal
- Online Bulletin – published in advance of the printed Bulletin. The online edition now features GIS mapping files from current articles.
- Bulletin Archives – online search capability of all volumes
- Explorer – monthly news magazine on industry and association
- Search & Discovery – e-journal available to general public
- Environmental Geosciences – DEG journal
- Bookstore – current geoscience information available in books, course notes, studies, maps, videos and CDs. Also select publications from The Geological Society
- Combined Publications Database – Datapages’ program to digitize publications of AAPG Affiliated Societies makes this valuable information available to members through corporate/university subscriptions or via (for individuals) a pay-per-view program
Programs for Students
AAPG and the AAPG Foundation offer many benefits to the geoscience student
- Student Chapters in universities worldwide with its own set of benefits
- AAPG/SEG Student Expo (job fair)
- Visiting Geologists to universities
- Grants-in-Aid – graduate field work
- Undergraduate grants for both student and department
Personal Benefit Programs
AAPG continually seeks ways to cooperate with sister organization on matters of interest and benefit to members.
The many committees of AAPG and its Divisions offer growth and leadership opportunities.
Advocacy for the science and for the industry strengthened with the opening of the Geo-DC office.
The affiliation of over 150 societies world wide, the organizational structure of sections and regions, as well as the House of Delegates and the Advisory Council are all designed to include and give representation to the general membership.
Do you want to be served?
For more information on the many benefits and services available to you contact Donna Riggs at AAPG in Tulsa. 1-918-560-2612; email is firstname.lastname@example.org. or go to www.aapg.org and look through the list of “short cuts.”