Results of the Delegate Poll
Twenty Delegates replied to the Poll that was published in the last Delegates' Voice. Although the number of responses that we received was somewhat disappointing, the results of the survey indicated several interesting trends.
Trend 1 (Questions 1-2) addresses delegate procedures, and there is both good and bad news here. The bad news is that the way we process applications and work together as delegates is very different from one society to another. This suggests that we need to re-examine our guidelines and procedures; we should all have a reasonably similar process. The good news is that it appears that all applicants are being well vetted.
Trend 2 (Questions 3-5) deals with membership qualifications. Most respondents favor keeping the requirement for sponsors where it is, or allowing a combination of sponsors and qualified references.We are evenly split on a membership category allowing limited services and we are opposed to a graduated dues structure.
Trend 3 (Questions 6-7) concerns the petition candidate change. The vast majority of respondents want the number of signatures increased to 100 and to require signatures from other sections or regions.
Thank you for your time and your response.
1) When conducting a Delegate check of an applicant you do not know, what do you do? (Respondents checked all that applied)
- (11) Call someone other than the sponsors to confirm the applicants credentials
- (10) Call the sponsors
- (6) Call someone at applicant's company
- (11) Contact someone in the local society
- (2) All of the above
2) As a Delegate how often do you meet with other delegates to confirm applicants
- (7) Once a month
- (0) Every few months
- (6) Never, we correspond by e-mail or by teleconference
- (5) Never
3) Currently, applicants for Active Membership must have 2 Active AAPG members sponsor them and attest to their credentials.Would you be like to see that requirement:
- (8) Stay the same
- (8) Changed to allow a combination of Sponsors and qualified References (i.e. an Associate Member or other practicing geoscientist)
- (2) Changed back to require 3 Active AAPG Member Sponsors
- (3) No sponsors or references
4) Would you like to see an "Affiliate" Membership Category which would have only digital access to publications and limited member benefits?
Yes 9 No 10
5) Would you like to see the development of several membership categories that allows AAPG to tailor your services and dues to your career?
Yes 6 No 12
For example: A) Student B) Active 1 (Young Professional) C) Active 2 D) Active 3 (Senior) E) Active 4 (Retired)
6) In regards to the Petition Process for Officer Candidates. Would you like to see the number of signatures:
- (3) Stay the same (50)
- (12) Increased to 100
- (1) Increased to 75
- (1) Decreased to 25
7) In regards to the Petition Process for Officer Candidates. Would you like to see:
- (11) At least 10% of the signatories from a different region or section
- (1) At least 1 signatory from every section and region
- (7) Signatories can be wherever the candidate finds them
8) Please offer your rating from 1 (low) to 10 (high) of the following in regards to your opinion of their functionality and job performance.
|AAPG Headquarters Management|
|AAPG Executive Committee|
|AAPG Advisory Council|