Candidates for AAPG office have been given the opportunity to respond briefly to the subject: "Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office."
Their responses and biographical information were provided by each candidate and edited only for grammar, spelling and format.
This information will also be provided as hard-copy in the January issue of the EXPLORER and available on the AAPG Web site through the election period. Ballots will be mailed, online in the first quarter of 2012. Results will be posted mid-May 2012.
Candidates were asked to limit their biographies to 350 words and responses to 500 words.
2013-14 Vice President - Sections Candidate
Steven H. Brachman Learn about Steve Brachman
Wapiti Energy, LLC, Houston, Texas
Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office ...
AAPG is the foremost professional and scientific organization for geoscientists in the world. I am highly honored to be nominated as a candidate for vice president-Sections.
The strength of AAPG in the United States lies in our Sections. Each Section is unique, but at their core, have a strong group of motivated individual members and volunteers. I learned in leadership roles as committee chair, secretary, treasurer and president of the Houston Geological Society what individuals willing to donate their time and talents can accomplish. As general chair for the upcoming 2014 AAPG Annual Convention and Exhibition in Houston, I again observe the remarkable achievements that a hard working group of volunteers can produce.
I believe in a strong partnership between AAPG and Sections. Two important keys to a successful partnership are communication and access to resources. I believe that one of my two paramount responsibilities as VP-Sections will be to facilitate clear communication between each Section and AAPG leaders – and to ensure that communication goes in both directions. The other is to help Sections locate the resources they need within and outside of AAPG to accomplish their goals and facilitate their interests.
AAPG has important immediate challenges but also many exciting opportunities. These include:
- Significant infusion of younger geoscientists.
- Rapidly evolving science in the form of new ideas, concepts and practical applications.
- Compelling new contributions to our knowledge base from industry, government and academia and a new willingness to share ideas.
- Geographic expansion due to interest in areas long ignored by industry.
- Large capital commitments to domestic exploration and production.
Each of these opportunities offers geoscientists and AAPG prospects for an optimistic future. I will work closely with the Sections and other AAPG leaders to enhance the role of our organization and our members – the results and benefits must be realized at the local level.
I have had the privilege over the past 30 years to know and work with some of the giants of our industry and believe that we have an obligation to honor their contributions by insuring that AAPG continues to be a forward-looking organization. I am pleased to accept the opportunity to run for AAPG office in the hope that I can help contribute to their legacy.
Exploration manager-Houston district, Petro-Hunt, LLC, Houston, Texas
Born 1955 Chicago, Illinois
- M.S., geology, Penn State University, University Park, PA
- B.S., geology, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL
- 2007-Present exploration manager, Petro-Hunt, Houston, TX
- 1997-2007 Division geologist, Pogo Producing Co, Houston, TX
- 1995-97 Senior geologist, Southwestern Energy, Houston, TX
- 1992-95 Geologist, Araxas Exploration, Houston, TX
- 1990-91 Senior geologist, Wintershall Energy, Houston, TX
- 1984-90 Senior geologist, SOHIO Petroleum/BP Exploration, Oklahoma City, and Houston, TX
- 1981-84 Development geologist, Gulf Oil Co, Oklahoma City, OK and Kilgore, TX
Joined AAPG 1981
Member DPA, EMD
- 2014 General chair, AAPG ACE, Houston, TX
- 1999-Present HoD delegate
- 2006-07 Affiliated society president, HGS
- 2006 Short course instructor, AAPG ACE, Houston, TX
- 2001-04 DPA Advisory Council
- 2000-05 AAPG mentor
- 1995 Committe chair, AAPG ACE, Houston, TX
AAPG Honors and Awards
- 2007 George C. Matson Award
AAPG Vice President, Sections, Responsibilities as defined by AAPG Bylaws, Article II, Section 3.
The Vice President, Sections, when elected earlier than the Vice President, Regions, shall perform the duties of the President in the absence or inability of the President to serve. The Vice President, Sections, when elected earlier than the Vice President, Regions, shall assume the office of President in case of a vacancy for any cause in that office; and shall perform such duties as may be assigned by the President. The Vice President, Sections shall, with his or her other duties, concern himself or herself with the activities of the Association in respect to United States Sections. A Vice President, Sections elected pursuant to the provisions of Section 12 of this Article II shall be presumed for the purposes of this Section 3 to have been elected on the date of his or her predecessor's election.