Candidates for AAPG office have been given the opportunity to respond briefly to the subject: "Why I Accepted the Invitation to be a Candidate for an AAPG Office."
Their responses and biographical information were provided by each candidate and edited only for grammar, spelling and format.
This information will also be provided as hard-copy in the January issue of the EXPLORER and available on the AAPG Web site through the election period. Ballots will be mailed, online in the first quarter of 2011. Results will be posted mid-May 2011.
Candidates were asked to limit their biographies to 350 words and responses to 500 words.
2010-11 Vice President Regions Candidate
Stuart D. Harker
Vice president geology, Circle Oil Plc, Aberdeen, Scotland
Born 1950, Rochdale, UK.
- 1978 Ph.D., geology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- 1975 M.S., geology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- 1972 B.S. (Hons), geology, University of London, London, England
- 2008-present Circle Oil, vice president geology
- 2004-07 Consultant geologist, global projects, Troy Ikoda/RPS then PGS, Aberdeen
- 2002-05 Aberdeen University, honorary lecturer in M.S. course Hydrocarbon Enterprise
- 2000-04 Total, head of geology and geophysics-northern North Sea
- 1998-2000 Worldwide prospect and fields assessment team, Elf, Paris
- 1991-98 Exploration geologist then manager of exploration-licenses and fields, UKCS, Elf, Aberdeen
- 1985-91 Occidental, exploration and production geologist, UKCS
- 1981-85 Occidental, exploration geologist-Africa then regional chief geologist-Middle and Far East
- 1980-81 Murphy Oil, exploration and production geologist-Western Canada
- 1978-80 Aramco, stratigrapher (Saudi Arabia)
- 1976-78 Texaco Exploration, stratigrapher and exploration geologist-Alberta, Arctic and Eastern Canada
- 1973-75 Texaco Exploration, summer internships
- Joined AAPG 1981
- 2008-present Associate editor, BULLETIN
- 2005-09 Advisory Council, European Representative
- 1997-2001 Publications Committee
- 1996-99 HoD, delegate
- 1991-94 HoD, delegate
- 1992-95 Grants-in-Aid Committee
- 1993 DEG Charter Member
Around 30 published papers and 30 presentations for all of the mentioned associations and other institutions.